• No

Votes: 59 37.8%
  • User choice

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 11 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to say I work in the dive business was at DEMA and not alot dive manufacture make them any more. If you find that you like hang on to it.

if both masks fit the same I would choose the non purge but the most important thing by far is that the mask fits.
joens

Hmmm, Are they teaching you how to clear your mask? or is the purge valve required to streamline training/ eliminate a skill needed to get wet? Wear what fits good, and ask your instructor to show you how to clear a mask!!

My current mask is the SP Triview with the purge. I dont give a rip about purge or no purge, i can use both. Fit and view is all i care about. liked the SP so much that i found an extra on Eslay for a back up mask. :peek:

devjr once bubbled...
The mfgs are probably using silicone valves now, and they should last. I don't use a purge, my everyday mask is a SP Frameless. Most folks use the nose pocket to equalize if they need help but I sometimes press on the mask body to generate posititive pressure, and this method can't be done with a purge.

devjr,
I have a purge mask and i equalize by placing my palm over the purge and it works just fine.

I've used both. I prefer the purge.

They can be a problem to equalize because of the valve cover. I've done alot of snorkeling / spearfishing before getting certified, so I learned early on to equalize by swallowing or flexing my jaws.

If I absolutely have to pinch to clear, I'm forced to turn my hand upside down to get between my reg and valve cover.

What Agency requires specfic brands or styles?

In regards to the question, I use and love the purge valve style mask. In the "lotta" years I've been using that style of mask, I've had problems three times and none with the new one I bought in 1981.

With fit being the number one issue, ease of use comes next. Most divers can learn to clear a non-purge valve mask, but its difficult for many. The POSSIBLE leak problem does not outweigh the benefit. BTW, in my three "stuck" valve situations, I did a normal clearing and I was good to go. Had zero impact on me or the dive.

Different strokes....etc, etc

I have masks with purge and without purge, and I prefer the purge. Only once did I have a problem with the purge, but it didn't ruin the dive.

I don't know if I've ever heard a more opionated group of people that can make a huge issue out of nothing. I have been diving for eight years with a purge mask (U.S. Divers) and have subjected this mask to all types of abuse. I can't imagine what could cause this purge valve to fail. And yes, I know how to clear my mask. But having a mustache, I always have a slow leak (and I mean slow) and find it much easier to blow out occassionally through my nose rather than using the palm of my hand to clear my mask. It keeps me from having to move my arms at all or interrupt whatever I am doing at the time.

:para:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom