• No

Votes: 59 37.8%
  • User choice

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 11 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used a couple of purge masks that I liked but for the most part, I tend to think of them as just a mask "with a hole in it" and use a regular mask.

:wink:

I used to be in the "purge valves are for wimps" category.

After losing a contact lens on Molasses reef because it had dislocated and was 'flushed' away when I had to clear my mask, I've switched to using a mask with the valve. It allows me to clear the mask without breaking the seal on my face. If I've managed to lose a lens into the mask, it won't be flushed out when the mask is cleared.

Don't talk to me about prescription masks, glasses, etc. My contact lens are medically necessary, and not eligible for any type of surger such as RK or lasik.

i'm not speaking for Dog but I have Keratoconus, a problem with elongation of my corneas that would be helped if I wore hard contacts. This kind of thing would fit what Dog said.

however I just dive blind, maybe someday I'll get a prescription mask. I don't wear my prescription contacts because the condition I have makes them freaking painful to wear.

HTH,
Rice

I too have an Ocean Master purge mask, and love it, although as others have pointed out, it creates a lot of soreness at the bottom of my nose after multiple dives, at which time I switch to one of my other masks, all of which are non-purge types.
My concern of your LDS, is I would think they would want all of their students to wear want ever fits and is confortable. And proper mask clearing should be an important phase of your training!

I started with a scubapro purge CrystalVu Mask, but found that I had difficulty pinching my nose to equalize. I since switched to a Mares X-Vision, non purge and I love it! Not only can I pinch off the ol' shnoz (sp?) better, my range of vision all around (esp. downward) is much better!

I suppose I'm different than most here...I prefer a large volume mask with finger wells (not a nose pocket), and NO purge valve. I have an old scubapro tri-view mast in mint condition that I baby. Since this mask has not been on the market for about 10-15 years there is no replacement if it is damaged. I just takes some extra care when out on dive boats etc.

I have always thought that purge valves on masks or snorkels, for that matter, as a failure point that could result in an aborted dive. If one uses proper technique, clearing a mask or snorkel (displacement method) is easy. Purge valves are a "unique solution to a non-existant problem". So often we substitute technology for skill and experience. With some exceptions, simpler is usually better.

...just my opinion...others will disagree and that's ok too...it is all about personal choices anyway...

Besides my dive buddy, usually old murphy is always along(Murphy's Law) I believe in the Kiss theory (Keep It Simple Stupid)
purge valves although nice it's one more thing to have something go wrong with.
it's plain old sea visions for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom