Q about Vehicle break-in on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry Doc Harry, when I read your post I only picked up on the tanks part...

Keys and glasses and cash rode with us in a small dry box (wallet stayed in our room). Everything else just stayed either in the open cab or the truck box. "Everything else" was just shirts, shorts, flip-flops, food and water. Stuff that is not much of interest to anybody and if did grow legs would not be a heartbreaker.

Bill

We were just talking about that. My GF and I both wear glasses and could not see without them to drive back to the resort. When I was there the last time did only boat dives at Divi so never needed a truck. But was thinking about going again with the DNY crowd. And trucks would be the norm. Do not want to take my glasses under water or haul a couple pairs of old ones. What do you do as far as that goes. ID I could take in a small waterproof box. But glasses are another matter unless i found an old light body they would fit in to take down with me. Would you hide em on the truck somewhere?

George drove from PA to NYC without glasses just by squinting. Watch out for the raccoons.:wink:

Just to be safe, you could remove one earpiece and replace it with a rubber band.

New stylish frames or sun glasses might be a problem. Older glasses should be safe. If not, you will look a little funny driving down the road with your mask on. But I have heard of some odd stuff being stolen, like a blood sugar meter.

We were just talking about that. My GF and I both wear glasses and could not see without them to drive back to the resort. When I was there the last time did only boat dives at Divi so never needed a truck. But was thinking about going again with the DNY crowd. And trucks would be the norm. Do not want to take my glasses under water or haul a couple pairs of old ones. What do you do as far as that goes. ID I could take in a small waterproof box. But glasses are another matter unless i found an old light body they would fit in to take down with me. Would you hide em on the truck somewhere?

Simple question, Jim. Why don't you want to take glasses underwater? That is what I do. I have a pouch that I hang around my neck on each dive. In it are my drivers license, a $20 bill, a credit card and just before entering the water, my glasses and my wife's glasses go in, too. I can still see fairly well, but my wife must put her prescription mask on at that point. The pouch fills with water, but nothing gets broken. One pair of my glasses corroded a bit under the plastic coating on part of the glasses, but otherwise, nothing happened to them. Yes, I'd prefer a slim, fully waterproof container for these items, but have not been able to locate such. The current method doesn't really need fixing.

On would think, that after YEARS of this crap going on, that to preserve tourism that the authorities would do something to combat this. Its why I don't beach dive there anymore. They dont seem to care and they aint getting my tourist dollars!

I wear contacts. If I ever start using a prescription mask, I'd probably use an older pair of glasses and maybe put some duct tape on it a la Spaz-style or something to hopefully make them unattractive enough for anyone to want to swipe.

Bring a third person to stand guard...armed

I use an aquapac on a lanyard to hold car keys, cash, credit card. Tuck it into my suit. They make then in a gazillion sizes, plenty can take glasses.

Back
Top Bottom