Q for those who are newly certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

It will be interesting to hear how she reacts to the living room regulator experience. For whatever reason I find the breathing easier once under water.

You say that she had some difficulty with skin-diving. Ideally you get her past this before letting her near a regulator. My suggestion is to head over to a pool (Y, public or many hotels will let you in for a very modest fee) and get her re acclimated with breathing orally while her face is immersed. She can swim very lightly, heck that's what diving is all about.

As for the gear burden, get a smaller cylinder like a 63. She has no need for an AL80 for a discover pool dive. You might even consider having her don it in the water.

My wife did her DD after a summer of about 50 cold water skin-dives and it went smoothly. She had already decided to join me in OW class that winter but I wanted her to go into the class knowing that she could do it. Our LDS was doing the DDs in a local pond in shallow water. Surprisingly she did hit a few roadblocks in the class setting but she got back on track and did fine. I had done mine a few months earlier and that's what set the hook for me.

My wife is a lot like you describe your's She has no interest in independent study but she will take material that is presented. Especially then I would read the dive magazines and flag articles with post-it notes. She would read the feature, date the post-it and leave them on the inside cover.

Plan on being her gear steward to some extent and it can work out just fine. Have her make her own decisions on her gear but there is nothing wrong with you organizing pros, cons and alternatives. We load and clean-up together and at the dive site she rigs her own gear. Like most things in life we seem to compliment each others weaknesses and strengths nicely.

As for your "years of pestering, begging, pleading, and bribe offers" you need to start singing a different tune. She needs to want to do this for herself, to share the underwater world that she sees means so much to you. Be kind and supportive, you are her best mentor. You have the experience to talk her through visualizations and answer her many questions. She must know that you love her whether she follows through with this or not.

If she has a hard time remind her that this is an adaptation. As humans we have no business breathing underwater and for some that takes a little reprogramming. Patience, patience, patience.

Good Luck,
Pete

I always liked snorkeling but didn't really like breathing through snorkel, especially the cheap ones you usually use on snorkeling trips.

The first time I tried SCUBA (a Discover "course") it was like night and day. It was so much easier and so much more relaxing to be under the water on SCUBA than being being buffeted about on the surface and having to clear that d-mn snorkel all the time.

Just remember, even though we may love to SCUBA dive not everyone does or wants to. I have seen many people try and learn to dive to please their significant other and it isn't too often that people learn to love diving when they really don't want to.

As much as I love diving my husband has no desire to learn. He says that just seeing people dive makes him anxious. He loves to snorkel and we do that together. Otherwise, he golfs during the day while I go diving and then we meet for dinner and talk about our days.

Had a student tonight that maybe relevent. Came across as very nervous but keen. First lesson in pool is basically a glorified DSD to get comfort level up.

Usual technique is in shallow water just kneel down so head is 2" or so below the surface. Person then has a look around while breathing. Tonight it failed, she managed 10 seconds, 20 seconds and kept standing up. Was "thinking" about breathing so much the rythm was messed up - you can overdo preparation in that respect.

Solution was to go down flat on the stomach, starting as you'd snorkel and descending while swimming. She managed that, swum for 5-6 minutes without panicing once. That act of just swimming and looking around took the mind off the unusual breathing and she was fine. After that she was fine kneeling.

By all means try a reg but dont overdo the learning to breathe thing - some people find it easier to begin with NOT thinking about it all the time and need a distraction.

Another issue ive noticed breathing on land is due to no smell or taste on the air they arent aware its giving them air mentally so its not a great confidence boost. Just putting the face in water where they arent surrounded by air they finally realise its the reg giving them air despite no taste.

Edit:- and as others have said. Do not be in the same room, or preferably building while its going on!

LG Diver,

These are my opinions and may or may not work out for you.

1. Leave her alone. Don't have her sit in the living room breathing from a reg. You are just going to further intimidate her.

2. If jaw fatigue is of any concern, spend the $30 and order a Sea Cure. Do the prep work yourself and ask her to bite into it. Just let her know that you'd like to ensure that it is a custom fit, and you don't want her using someone elses mouthpiece. Whatever it takes! Be sweet, and don't mess up the kitchen boiling the darned water.

3. Get her one on one. If she's like my wife, by god don't tell her it cost more! Just pay whatever it costs, slip the instructor an extra six pack or bill on top of the price, and let her know any special requests you have.

4. Rig her with an AL50 or AL63. No AL80!

5. Use good gear. Donate your own, or rent top notch gear. The last thing you need is an equipment failure tainting her first experience.

6. Hire a female instructor. I know, they are somewhat rare in parts of the world, but it is worth doing. Men naturally try to intimidate women. It is a carnal instinct in showing off what we know. A mating ritual. A female instructor will likely be more empathetic and less threatening. It's your wife we're talking about - finding the right instructor is worth the time.

7. Have the instructor toss the equipment (inflated BC w/ tank) into the shallow end and gear up in the pool as opposed to on dry land. No gear to carry. Pay extra if necessary, or tip well. Remember - an extra $10 today is worth a dive buddy for the rest of your life.

8. DSD is about breathing underwater. Nothing more. Don't start telling her about buoyancy control, trim, DCS, or anything else!!!!! Get her breathing in the shallow end with a good (female) instructor and let the instructor give the lessons. The point of DSD is simple - take non-divers and show them how bloody easy it is to breath off a reg. Anything further than that and you are talking OW. This is marketing, man, let's leave out the "undocumented features" (IT term).

9. Don't be there when she trains. Go to the shop. Stop by the pub. Ring up a mate. Doesn't matter - just do not be there staring at her and offering your advice. It will not help.

10. If you are a real romantic - schedule a nice massage or other appropriate pampering at a local spa / day spa for immediately after the DSD. (This works best on weekends). Pick her up from the class. If she is happy, let her talk about it but don't interrupt. If she is upset, let her vent. Drive from DSD to spa. 'Nuff said? After an hour of swedish massage she won't be thinking about the freeflowing reg on the crappy rental gear.

Thank you all for the advice. I left her entirely alone- no playing with regs on the couch, no talking of diving or giving advice, no helping during the session. Not only did she sign up for the OW class, but she told me to put another deposit down for the May Channel Islands trip that I'm planning to go on!

I am glad for you, it is a special thing to share.

May Channel Islands trip? Are you guys diving with Truth Aquatics? We'll be with them in July for our next trip down there. :) (Our shop does three a year...March, July, and October) Congrats on the success for both of you and tell her to have fun with the sealions..:).

Cheers,
Austin

3-Ring Octopus:
May Channel Islands trip? Are you guys diving with Truth Aquatics? We'll be with them in July for our next trip down there. :) (Our shop does three a year...March, July, and October) Congrats on the success for both of you and tell her to have fun with the sealions..:).

Cheers,
Austin

Yes, we'll be on the Vision May 10-12. We're booking through Diver Dan's in San Jose. I did the August trip with them on the Conception last year and loved it.

Back
Top Bottom