Q: Gear removal exercise. How not to get tangled up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homo maris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been practicing skills in the pool.
One of the skills I practice is to remove my rig, inspect it then put it back together.
With a regular hose, I do that rather quickly but with a long hose with octo on a bungee I got all tangled up and it took me 5 min to get back together.
Is there a trick?
Do you breathe from the octo and leave the long hose dangling?

Thanks,
JL

I clip off my primary and switch to my octo. Good idea to remove the bungee from around your neck, especially if you are doing this to pass your gear up to a smaller boat. It wasn't a pretty lesson.

To answer your question since I have to do this during OW classes as gear R&R on the bottom is a requirement, I unstow the long hose and remove the reg from my mouth, sometimes I even remember to blow bubbles........I remove the bungied reg, usually getting it stuck on the snorkel and then stick the long hose back in my mouth, but leave it un-stowed.

Then proceed with the R&R thing, and then reverse the above procedure.

Any screw up I do doing the R&R I attribute to gaining comfort of not having a reg in your mouth and it all looks like it is supposed to be done this way :wink:

Always have an answer.

On the debrief I take the time to point out why we never need to take the unit off in the water at depth, and why snorkels should be fold-away and stuffed in a pocket if you're hell bent on carrying one, which I am not.

I also have never even come close to a time that I have ever needed to take my gear off, nor will I probably ever need to, as I have many other more viable options before I would get down the list this far.

And really, what the hell would I have been doing to need this anyway? I've never had an acceptable answer given to me.

I would suggest you not waste your valuable time doing nonsense skill like this, kneeling on the bottom to boot, and spend it learning actual required dive skills instead.

Regards

Best bet is to breathe the long hose, make sure you unwrap it first. Try making sure the waist strap and crotch strap are separated, put both arms through the straps then put it over your head.

Scuba_Steve:
And really, what the hell would I have been doing to need this anyway? I've never had an acceptable answer given to me.
Regards

Steve...this is so you can be a stunt double for James Bond...:D

In Thunderball...when he dives down and puts on the gear they just happened to have left underwater...:D...we always leave gear underwater don't we??:D

Silly me.

I knew there was a reason.

I'm pretty much the same as Ben except I don't do over the head things as people get carried away with that cylinder thingy and start chipping away pool tile like you wouldn't believe. I just like to keep the tanks from being over anyone's head because I am a nervous nelly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom