Qualifications to participate in this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, can you make it viewable to non-members and simply restrict posting (e.g. the DIR Practitioner Forum)?

Seems to me that some stuff may be of value to everyone, and that by hiding it from the general population we're going to see a tangible degradation of the open forum.

OTOH, if everyone can read but only certain people can post, the quality of discussion (here) will hopefully/likely improve, and pertinent questions in the open forum could simply be directed here via hyperlink (which could accomplish your "Tech References" goal).

Just a thought.

I'm sure there is a way to make it viewable, but unable to post. I've had several requests for that and it's a consideration I'll keep in mind for the future. One of the reasons I asked for the private forum is so that we feel free to speak more freely and that this area is not searchable by Google.

The idea of valuable content has crossed my mind as well, but some of that could be handled by copying any really good threads into the general tech forum. If this forum starts to generate a lot of really good content, I can ask NetDoc about creating a "read only" usergroup that regular members can opt into and that should take care of it.

Once again, this is a decision I'd like to see shaped by the participants back here.

Out of curiosity, can you make it viewable to non-members and simply restrict posting (e.g. the DIR Practitioner Forum)?

I thought of that.... but if the purpose of the forum is to allow DIR-curious to ask questions, how will they post?

You could go down the "Instructors Panel" route, and have people post questions on someone else's behalf - but that would get to be a bit of a drag after a while.

I thought of that.... but if the purpose of the forum is to allow DIR-curious to ask questions, how will they post?

They would have to post offshoot discussion in the regular tech forum.

The DPF was not created for the curious. The parent DIR forum can handle those questions. DPF kinda fizzled when SB pissed off Rtodd one too many times and he left for good.

The DPF was not created for the curious. The parent DIR forum can handle those questions. DPF kinda fizzled when SB pissed off Rtodd one too many times and he left for good.

Yeah, I was thinking more of the parent DIR forum to be honest.

EDIT: Also just realised that Marc was talking about T2T, in my head I was a few pages back in the discussion about the open DIR forum being rife with non-DIR advice. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not so sure making this a read only forum is a good idea. one of the main attractions for me about this forum is being able to discuss issues among people we know and trust without the concern of a non-tech trying to learn how to tech dive on the Internet. Many of us are hesitant to post tables online for fear someone might tr the dive based on that only. I've seen that concern expressed several times here and on TDS. This forum allows us to openly discuss those things without that concern.

I'm not so sure making this a read only forum is a good idea.
My sentiments too. If this becomes available to everyone my participation level will change.

Those reasons and more are why we opted for fully private. Mods dont even have access to read here unless they have been invited based on qualifications. There are no plans to change that unless its something the T2T members decide they want and agree to.

Fair enough. In that case, can I request that my "UTD class report" threads be moved or copied to the public area (maybe even the UTD agency forum)?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom