Quality of wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangguy327

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After reading a diffrent post about a well priced new brand of wings I did a little research to see what the diffrences in the wings are. I came up with some wings are made from 1680 denier nylon and some from 1050 nylon. I even saw that Golem wings are 2000 nylon.
At first glance I assume that the higher the number the better but according to Wikipedia that is not the case. 1050 is tougher than 1680 and will not wear after prolonged use.
It says "1680 denier looks very similar to the 1050 when it is new, but it is actually not as strong as 1050 denier and gets fuzzy as it wears. As it resists abrasion and tearing"

I have found that HOG uses 1680 as does Dive Rite in the black rec wing, dual classic, and venture wings.

My question is has anyone experienced their wing becoming fuzzy as it ages?

The 1050 may be better, but if the 1680 does the job fine then it may be the better buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom