Quebec's New Diving Laws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... The way I read it is that 13 people died in a 5 year peroid. Is that really something that should require new legislation?

How is this going to be enforced?

Its kinda hard to enforce something on someone who is dead. If a person gets hurt then the burden of proof will still lie on the enforcing agency to prove the diver was outside his (her) scope of training. It may not be that easy.
What will be the punishment for non-compliance? Yank the c-card? Could the gov't confiscate the divers gear?

To see any government start imposing restrictions like this makes me nervous. The thought of the U.S. following Canada in gun laws scares me. We don't need anyone giving the U.S. legislators any ideas.

Tom

We used to teach a lot of Instructor-level courses in Ontario AND Quebec (Pearce, being from Ottawa, is fluently bilingual). However, we left Canada in '98 before this all came up.

Meanwhile, after many years of hard work, one of our good friends in Montreal also became a Course Director. Over the last year or so he has been trying to keep up with the Quebec govt's machinations. From what I understand, it's already a nightmare.

Once again Quebec is flexing its "Distinct Cultural" muscles... much to the detriment of their residents. If it's FRENCH, they think it's good, REGARDLESS of whether or not it truly is. And of course the rest of Canada has to allow this for the good of Confederation.

:loopy:

Sheesh!

~SubMariner~

How to enforce it is just one of the questions being asked. For now PADI is recommending it's members to continue as we have been diving.

There has been rumours that should the "scuba police" arrive at a dive location, and you don't have the appropriate license (or equivilant if they go that way) they may confiscate the gear.

This is the same province that has imposed language laws - basically stating the French must be the predominate lanuage in any signage used by businesses. The have so-called language police (I forget what they are really called) that go around and ensure that this is true -- if not a fine is imposed.

As for the gun laws.... don't get me started on that. I wish guns could all magically disappear totally. Recently a friend of mine lost a good friend through the carelessness of weapon handling. The pain they have suffered... sure we can get into a real debate about the good and bad, and all the parameters with weapon handling... but this is a SCUBA board, and I for one want it to remain as that.

about diving down here in Florida? DG asked me what the water temps were like... 72 degree is the minimum right now (the springs) with most diving in the high 70s to mid 80s. Whats a dry suit??? Surrounded by oceans, inundated by lakes, streams and 241 distinct springs! AND they finally sunk the Grove... c'mon down and dive some... work on them thar tans! :tease:

Originally posted by DivingGal
This is the same province that has imposed language laws - basically stating the French must be the predominate lanuage in any signage used by businesses. The have so-called language police (I forget what they are really called) that go around and ensure that this is true -- if not a fine is imposed.
Ah, Quebec and Mississippi....thank heavens the US had first pick.
:D

Originally posted by DivingGal
As for the gun laws.... don't get me started on that. I wish guns could all magically disappear totally. Recently a friend of mine lost a good friend through the carelessness of weapon handling. The pain they have suffered... sure we can get into a real debate about the good and bad, and all the parameters with weapon handling... but this is a SCUBA board, and I for one want it to remain as that.
thus begging the question...

:)

Originally posted by NetDoc
about diving down here in Florida? DG asked me what the water temps were like... 72 degree is the minimum right now (the springs) with most diving in the high 70s to mid 80s. Whats a dry suit??? Surrounded by oceans, inundated by lakes, streams and 241 distinct springs! AND they finally sunk the Grove... c'mon down and dive some... work on them thar tans! :tease:

I'm coming, I'm coming.... called the auto club for their "best route"... getting the car checked out, just a few more OW classes to DM to get out of the way, and I'm there!

I guess you'll have to make all dive signals twice - once in french and once in english. Of course the french signal must be prominent and be at least 25% bigger than the english signal.

I wonder what the new Quebec dive flag will look like.

(Remember this is the same province who wanted to make french the official language for aviation in Quebec, when even France uses English....sigh)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom