Queen Anne's revenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dexterhd1

Reaction score
hey does any one know about diving tours on queen annes revenge? I came across a web site a while a go but lost it any info would be apreciated thanks
dex

Sign me up!! That is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. Not too far from me. If it's still going on next year I will definitely be a part of that.

I would love to do this dive.

I was fortunate enough to be able to dive QAR with Mike Daniel who is the person who found the wreck. Mike is a great guy but there is no shortage of animosity between he and the archeologists. It is a long story and the tension that day was palpable. For me...I didn't care about the tension. I just felt so excited about being able to dive this historical treasure. I even found an artifact sticking out of the sand. I did not dare touch it and got one of the archeologists or interns? to come and look at it. I am posting a photo of what I found. It is the blue piece of ceramic pottery, bottom right. So...not only did I get to dive the site for free, I also found an artifact.
Be prepared because the visibility can be from about 20 feet to not being able to see your hand:) Even if it is that bad, you can still see plenty. You just have to be right up on the the debris, plus you will have a guide. The reason for the visiblity being at best about 20 feet is that the wreck is so close to shore...only about a quarter mile out from Fort Macon... matched with the fact that is is only at a depth of about 30 fsw. You can actually see the marker buoy from shore if you look really hard and even easier with a pair of binoculars. That close to shore and the swells can really stir up silt. Either way I would recommend it to all of you. As I said, even if the viz is bad, you can still see the wreck, but also know it doesn't look like a wreck. There is plenty to still see...cannons, anchors, etc. The feeling of diving Blackbeard's flagship...well for me it was fantastic. I have been fascinated with him since I was a child. I even have a tatoo of him on my arm. It is worth every penny and even better when you don't have to spend a penny...sorry...had to put that in:)

06-oct31.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be able to dive QAR with Mike Daniel who is the person who found the wreck. Mike is a great guy but there is no shortage of animosity between he and the archeologists. It is a long story and the tension that day was palpable. For me...I didn't care about the tension. I just felt so excited about being able to dive this historical treasure. I even found an artifact sticking out of the sand. I did not dare touch it and got one of the archeologists or interns? to come and look at it. I am posting a photo of what I found. It is the blue piece of ceramic pottery, bottom right. So...not only did I get to dive the site for free, I also found an artifact.
Be prepared because the visibility can be from about 20 feet to not being able to see your hand:) Even if it is that bad, you can still see plenty. You just have to be right up on the the debris, plus you will have a guide. The reason for the visiblity being at best about 20 feet is that the wreck is so close to shore...only about a quarter mile out from Fort Macon... matched with the fact that is is only at a depth of about 30 fsw. You can actually see the marker buoy from shore if you look really hard and even easier with a pair of binoculars. That close to shore and the swells can really stir up silt. Either way I would recommend it to all of you. As I said, even if the viz is bad, you can still see the wreck, but also know it doesn't look like a wreck. There is plenty to still see...cannons, anchors, etc. The feeling of diving Blackbeard's flagship...well for me it was fantastic. I have been fascinated with him since I was a child. I even have a tatoo of him on my arm. It is worth every penny and even better when you don't have to spend a penny...sorry...had to put that in:)

Wow! Thanks for sharing that with us rawls. I've been real curious about this since I first learned of it. I'm excited about doing this dive. I just hope it is still going on next summer. Like you I've had an interest in Blackbeard since I was young and remember the day the QAR was discovered. It is a very rare opportunity.

My comment would have to be that DiveDown is just as fun from the instructor side as the participant side. I think it's not just the dive on the wreck site but the entire, dare I say it, educational experience. The comment that I've heard from almost every participant is that they leave with a whole new perspective on shipwrecks and wreck diving, looking at them from the marine ecology, geology, archaeology, and historical aspect.

As an added bonus this season, for those of you who like c-cards, participants receive a distinctive specialty diver certification: Heritage Awareness Diver. This specialty, recognized by PADI, NAUI, and SSI, was designed by the Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research, Florida Public Archaeology Network, and NOAA Keys sanctuary, and adapted and expanded by the NC Underwater Archaeology Branch and DiveDown instructors for NC historic shipwrecks, specifically QAR.

The sessions planned for 2008 are currently full, although there is a waiting list. There are plans for a DiveDown 2009 but no schedule or plans have been made as yet.

Back
Top Bottom