Question about Apeks griplock strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alkemichar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Lately I have been sewing some pieces of gear such as weight pockets, dumpable weight systems side pockets etc and amongst that tank straps, buckle box stitch, a bit of velcro here and there you go, nothing special. But a few days ago two of my diving colleagues came with an idea to make a new strap for their Apeks black ice which came with this convoluted contraption they call the griplock system. What are these intended for? Are they for aluminum tanks or some other standard because they barely fit a 15L steel tank and they both want the capability to go up to 18L steel. I don't understand why they are adjustable on both sides and they use an uncommon 45mm strap. Has anyone heard of these slipping or failing, the buckle seems fine but everything else seems sketchy considering this is a fairly expensive bcd?

Lately I have been sewing some pieces of gear such as weight pockets, dumpable weight systems side pockets etc and amongst that tank straps, buckle box stitch, a bit of velcro here and there you go, nothing special. But a few days ago two of my diving colleagues came with an idea to make a new strap for their Apeks black ice which came with this convoluted contraption they call the griplock system. What are these intended for? Are they for aluminum tanks or some other standard because they barely fit a 15L steel tank and they both want the capability to go up to 18L steel. I don't understand why they are adjustable on both sides and they use an uncommon 45mm strap. Has anyone heard of these slipping or failing, the buckle seems fine but everything else seems sketchy considering this is a fairly expensive bcd?
The regular griplock is one of the best tank straps I’ve used, like the scubapro but easier to adjust. They have one called wrapture (something like that) that is more convoluted but the beauty is the buckle, really good system overall.

The regular griplock is one of the best tank straps I’ve used, like the scubapro but easier to adjust. They have one called wrapture (something like that) that is more convoluted but the beauty is the buckle, really good system overall.
The buckle is a piece of art but I can't grasp the idea behind the cheap strap solution provided with it, I would much rather one side be fixated and the other adjustable. Which tanks did you use with it in general?

The buckle is a piece of art but I can't grasp the idea behind the cheap strap solution provided with it, I would much rather one side be fixated and the other adjustable. Which tanks did you use with it in general?
It makes adjustment super easy is the best reason and threading it into different configurations is pretty easy, it works.

Just in case:

IMG_7905.jpeg

IMG_7904.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom