Question about Apeks griplock strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of Aqualung griplock tank straps that are extra extra long (yes thats two times extra). I thought about cutting them down to the length of standard griplock straps and re-sewing the velcro but I have not gotten around to it. They came in a bag with a sticker and barcode/model number that was legit Aqualung from Aqualung, but when I spoke to Aqualung North America they had no information. I bought them second hand, but they were brand new when I purchased them from a diver in Belgium....I don't think he knew how long they were as they were each in a sealed plastic bag. He was selling them because he did not need them as he had long switched to a doubles setup. I have searched and searched but have never been able to find any info on these super long Griplock straps.

OP, if your friends want to swap a pair of standard Griplock straps for these long ones, let me know and lets work something out.

-Z

I have 2 sets of these. First set is Apeks GripLock that came with my WTX-D30 BP&W. These are just about long enough (requires some finessing) for a 15L Steel. So I’ve transferred them to my Aluminium BP and they’re great for Steel 12L tanks.
I bought an AquaLung set off eBay and they are 200mm longer. I’ve checked the model number 767505

IMG_3668.jpeg
IMG_3667.jpeg
IMG_3666.jpeg

These work with 15L but I’ve routed them slightly differently

IMG_3886.jpeg

IMG_3887.jpeg

They’re much easier to use than regular cam bands (not sure how much heavier they are if used in a travel setup) and I also prefer them to the Scubapro ones I had on my Hydros.

I have 2 sets of these. First set is Apeks GripLock that came with my WTX-D30 BP&W. These are just about long enough (requires some finessing) for a 15L Steel. So I’ve transferred them to my Aluminium BP and they’re great for Steel 12L tanks.
I bought an AquaLung set off eBay and they are 200mm longer. I’ve checked the model number 767505

View attachment 800710View attachment 800711View attachment 800712

These work with 15L but I’ve routed them slightly differently

View attachment 800718

View attachment 800719

They’re much easier to use than regular cam bands (not sure how much heavier they are if used in a travel setup) and I also prefer them to the Scubapro ones I had on my Hydros.
With the wider "base" using the outer slots in the plate, is it significantly more stable on top of the center channel than when using just the inner slots?

Wondering if this is a good, lower profile option compared to an STA.

With the wider "base" using the outer slots in the plate, is it significantly more stable on top of the center channel than when using just the inner slots?

Wondering if this is a good, lower profile option compared to an STA.
I never really noticed a difference. Both my wings, Apeks D30 and D40 have built in single tank supports -
IMG_3888.jpeg

Also, the shape of the wing gives good support to the tank.
IMG_3889.jpeg

IMG_3890.jpeg

I use the D40 with an Apeks SS Backplate and Surelock weights for cold water, dry suit diving with 15L steel tanks - the tank is very stable.

My D30 is on an Apeks aluminium backplate which I intend to use for travel. I’ve used it in the pool (usually with 12L steel tanks) and I’ve no stability issues with it either.

I use a pair of these on my wing setup for 12L and 15L and I was wondering about the velcro too but never had anything slip or get loose.

I much prefer them to standard cambands but there is a risk of pinching cold wet fingers when they are tight!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom