Question about ascent incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ Waid:
... <fill in the blank here> is definately smarter than what I do.

words to live by

CJ Waid:
..so it is not a definate thing that you will get sick or anything like that, it is just for safety, because you COULD get sick, but what I have found is that if you can get away with something once, you can probably get away with it twice. [snip]...the rules were designed to account for divers of ALL likely physical conditions though, so I wouldn't let anyone scare you...
I really don't think it's wise to be encouraging a new diver to act recklessly and ignore the rules. I posted this thread so I could learn to be a SAFER diver, not an unsafe one pushing the limits.

I was just answering your questions honestly. I am sorry. I apologize.

CJ Waid:
I ascend and decend extremely fast in 30-35 feet of water and I have never felt anything, and I spend a lot of time on the bottom, I burn all of my air out before I even think about surfacing, so it is not a definate thing that you will get sick or anything like that, it is just for safety, because you COULD get sick, but what I have found is that if you can get away with something once, you can probably get away with it twice. I try to avoid times in a row on anything. You are not going to explode, you might MIGHT get a little sick, if you are in good condition, the rules were designed to account for divers of ALL likely physical conditions though, so I wouldn't let anyone scare you, but do be careful, a slow, careful ascent is definately smarter than what I do.

CJ you may want to reconsider that profile. I dove pretty much the same way in my younger days while in the Navy. I earned what I believe was a very mild Type I hit one day on a dive exactly how you describe. You may want to slow your ascents and do the 15 foot safety stop before you learn that you aren't bulletproof the hard way.

Diveral has a good point. I too have gotten lucky, and gotten away with a fast ascent. I would not push your luck. The rules are rules for a reason.

TOM

TheRedHead:
Try breathing off the inflator hose while maintaining neutral bouyancy. :shakehead

My Dear Mentor and Mr. President Robb, really good to see you here and sage words on inflators. . . I continue to learn from you.

Dear Deco Captain Red, thank you for ANOTHER skill to practice (start the clown music when I get past the surf line:bang:)

LeeAnne, you have yet to meet some AMAZING friends and team mate divebuddies here in SoCal, Robb is one of them, we need to traipse down past the Orange Curtain, and go diving with him at Laguna.

Happy Saturday all,

T

CJ Waid:
I ascend and decend extremely fast in 30-35 feet of water and I have never felt anything, and I spend a lot of time on the bottom, I burn all of my air out before I even think about surfacing, so it is not a definate thing that you will get sick or anything like that, it is just for safety, because you COULD get sick, but what I have found is that if you can get away with something once, you can probably get away with it twice. I try to avoid times in a row on anything. You are not going to explode, you might MIGHT get a little sick, if you are in good condition, the rules were designed to account for divers of ALL likely physical conditions though, so I wouldn't let anyone scare you, but do be careful, a slow, careful ascent is definately smarter than what I do.

Ohhh, CJ: Back up on the first part of your advice here! This is dangerous! Violating the inviolate laws of diving is like finding a backroad from the bar and revelling in the fact that you can drive fall down drunk and havent gotten a DUI yet!

This doesnt make drunk driving a managable way of operating. . . even if "every other time."

My intention is not to flame, nor is it to bash you. I need the newbies here to read with caution.

SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY, SAFETY IS SAFETY!

You learned a safety stop in that quicky PADI class (even if you learned nothing else) because that is the single most important skill for not killing yourself in the ocean.

Finally, arrive at the surface with 500psi. . . period! If anybody wants the reasoning, I will be happy to share.

Your thoughts,

Tevis

Archangel:
Finally, arrive at the surface with 500psi. . . period! If anybody wants the reasoning, I will be happy to share.

Please do. Explain why you need 500 PSI at the surface and when you should turn the dive in order to insure that you get to the surface with 500 PSI.

TheRedHead:
I think she hit both the inflatorr and purge - the old breathing off the power inflator trick. You are in more danger of having an embolism from a fast ascent than DCS after spending 10 minutes at 25 feet. Next time, dump from the rear, pulling the string towards your butt.
Yes. I have seen people do this when they hold the inflator assembly like a joy stick and depress the exhaust button with the thumb.

Splitlip:
Yes. I have seen people do this when they hold the inflator assembly like a joy stick and depress the exhaust button with the thumb.
Yep, as painful as it is to admit it, that pretty much explains what I did. So...how should I hold it when I'm purging?

-- LeeAnne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom