question about ashes and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AeroMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I was talking with my older brother two weeks ago when he went over to our fathers house. I said I would stay on the phone because I wanted to ask my dad something and my brother found my dad dead on the floor. It was not expected at all, and he just had his 61st birthday. It was a complete shock to the whole family.

I am doing okay because since i live in Charleston, SC and he lived in Michigan, every time i spoke with him or visited, I made sure to tell him I loved him and that I treated it as if it may be the last time I ever talked or visited with him. This way nothing was ever left unsaid.

Now, his wished are to have his ashes spread in the Gulf of Mexico and I wanted to do a dive there this summer, would it be okay for me to spread his ashes and dive at the same time? I mean to actually have my brother spread his ashes while I am diving to see his remains and to fossil hunt too. I didn't know if this would be too creepy or not and I know my dad wanted me to not let his passing have such a big impact on my daily life.

Just wanted to hear others thoughts on this.

Dude...Go for it!!! people do it all the time

a few years back I found the remains of someone near the Christ Statue in Key Largo. Ashes in an urn tucked in a tiny cave in the reef. I thought what a story , no one will ever believe this one. so I detached the strobe and angled it in and shot a few frames.
urn appears to be signed by friends and loved ones.

Attachments

• wade  urn.jpg
    wade urn.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 545
  • wade urn2.jpg
    wade urn2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 444
We helped spread a friend's ashes where he died (a local dive site). Be aware that, if there is no current, they don't "spread" much -- it's really more dumping them.

I think it would be fine to do this, but there may be regulations about what you can put in the water, so I wouldn't really discuss it with anyone on the boat.

We helped spread a friend's ashes where he died (a local dive site). Be aware that, if there is no current, they don't "spread" much -- it's really more dumping them.

I think it would be fine to do this, but there may be regulations about what you can put in the water, so I wouldn't really discuss it with anyone on the boat.

Well the cool part is back about 4 years ago my grandpa lived in Chiefland, FL and him and his neighbor would go fishing every day, One day my grandpa passed away and hi did not have it in his will but he did discuss it with my dad about his wishes when he died. He wanted his ashes mixed with my grandma (she passed away 10 years prior) and then taken out in the Gulf and both their ashes spread. He also said he wanted his boat to go to his neighbor. Now, my uncle wanted the boat but my dad honored his fathers wishes and gave the boat to the neighbor. The neighbor said he would be honored to take the family out to spread my grandparents ashes.

Now I bet.....I can go to his neighbor and he would be more then willing to take me out to the spot in the Gulf so I could spread my dads ashes. I just thought it would be kinda cool to dive with him while I do it.

Yes, it was a very (I hate to use this word) spiritual experience to put his ashes where he had so loved to be. I'd go for it.

My insta-buddy on the Truk Aggressor spread a friend's ashes before the first dive. I think fulfilling a commitment to your dad, explicit or otherwise, will do you some good. That's what got me through college after my dad died. Doing it with your brother is even better.

To the best of my knowledge, and it is limited, once a body is creamated it is not considered to have any hazardous material. So it isn't illeagle but to some it can be creepy. I know a number of people that have had their ashes scattered in the oceans and Chris and Chrisy had theirs scattered at Ginnie if I'm not mistaken. Go for it, and make sure you watch for unexpected gust of winds. My father in law got the last laugh in on us as we scattered his ashes. An unexpected gust got him blown back all over us. We scattered the last of him down the washing machine that night.:D

We did the same for an Aunt last year off of Galveston. Clearly your dad must have loved the gulf. Follow his wishes and do your dive in his memory. We also left a little momento on the ocean floor for her memory - it was nice.

I met a couple that had found a company that would take the ashes, mix them with concrete into a form that would then be used to build part of an artificial reef. I thought it was a great idea, can't remember the name of the company that did it.

Edit:

Here it is. http://www.eternalreefs.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom