question about ashes and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think messing with any funary urn that has been commited to the sea is bad mojo in anyones eyes. I also think that it is not right to place urns in dive sites that are frequented by other divers. Although I personally would not move an urn if I found one on a dive site, I could see somone moving one to a more discrete location if it was easily seen by divers frequenting a popular dive spot. The dissolvable urns seem to be a better idea in my eyes, so that we don't litter the reef (just donate a little calcium to it).

i had originally wanted my ashes spread over the reefs of Roatan but ive decided that this will be my final resting place

I absolutely think you should do it.

My husband and I want to also have our ashes mixed and spread. Half in the ocean and half in a forest/mountainy area. (Since I love the beach and now diving and he loves diving and has always found peace in forested areas).

I love the reef idea though, and my bring that up as the new alternative for us.

i had originally wanted my ashes spread over the reefs of Roatan but ive decided that
this will be my final resting place

I didn't see the hyperlink to Neptune in your post - I thought Post #22 was going to be it for you. I was wondering how you managed to get into the hereafter in cyberspace - you seemed kinda young to be checking out. Good you want to go out as a piece of molded brain coral.

body liquefaction..is the best way to do cremation.... because it is green alternative to cremation and works by dissolving the body in heated alkaline water....

I bet The Sopranos wished that they thought about that - after watching Chris and Furio sawing up the guy in the pork shop in Season 2 before the early day shift guys show up, body liquefaction should seems like a great idea.

I always thought that getting sprinkled off a Navy ship would be a good way to go, but they stick some poor junior officer, usually the new guy (the FNG) with the duty, make him get into the chokers and drag out his sword, and go through with the ceremony while the onlooking crew kinda stands around looking amused.
I personally always liked ceremonies like this - I got the whole destroyer I was on to turn out to render honors when we passed over the site of the USS Indianapolis (CA-35) where she was sunk in 1945 in the South Pacific after delivering the atomic bomb to Tinian. It's marked on Navy charts. We went a little out of our way to cross it, but hey, it's what you gotta do sometimes. Different time and place, that's me in the water with the sharks.
Plus whenever I was Command Duty Officer in Pearl Harbor on December 7, the whole crew knew to be up, in whites and in formation for morning colors and a moment of silence.

Really though. the only way to get slid over the side off a Navy ship properly is if it's your actual body sewn in the sailcloth under the flag and the Boatswain's Mate put the last stitch through your nose to really, really make sure you were dead.

There are funeral urns made of gelatin and sand. When placed in the ocean they degrade in a few days. The ashes within the urn are contained in a similar material. Very little impact on the environment and does away with the creepy factor associated with ashes spreading into the water, or inadvertently sticking on someone's head!

Cremation Urns | Scattering Ashes | Cremation Jewelry | Urns For Ashes

Back
Top Bottom