Question about Correctly Fitting New BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KomdoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a ScubaPro BCD. The size is Large. When I got it back home it feels a bit on the small size. I should have looked at the ScubaPro Website beforehand as they have a table that shows the all the different sizes of the BCD with the height/weight of the person who will be wearing the BCD. The reason I didn't look at the website beforehand is the dive shop has been in business for 20 years and thought I would get good advice when I went there. On the website it says I should be wearing an XL BCD. Is there any tests you can do to see if you have a good fitting BCD.

Is there any tests you can do to see if you have a good fitting BCD.

Yep... see if it looks like this, or not:

DSCF5068.JPG

(The tongue-in-cheek reference being that certain BCDs are near-infinitely adjustable).

I am of the opinion that a BC should be as small as it can be, and get all the connectors to work without strain. Being able to cinch the BC down around you is key to keeping the tank stable, which makes diving SO much more comfortable.

You don't say what model BC you bought, but if it has a cummerbund, you should be able to get at least a couple of inches of overlap on the Velcro. You should be able to shorten the shoulder straps by at least an inch or two. And the bottom of the BC should be at or below the bottom of your ribcage. If all those things are true (and check WITH the exposure protection you intend to wear with it) then the BC will work.

I bought the X-Black model, it has got a cummerbund. The BCD is about 1 inch below my ribcage. I think its going to be okay. The only way to truly find out is to do a few dives with each BCD but that's not going to happen in reality.

Back
Top Bottom