Question about Cross Agency Cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jloren9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If I am OW certified through SSI, but want to do AOW through PADI, do I have to do anything different as opposed to if I was OW cert. through PADI?

Basically, can you be certified by one agency and still use that as a pre-req. in a more advanced class for a different agency.

Thanks in Advance

Yes, a basic openwater scuba certification from any agency is a valid pre-requisite (if that is the minimum for the class in question) for any other recreational scuba certification agency. You can switch back and forth all day long taking specialties, AOW, Rescue, etc. until you decide to make the professional level leap. Then everything becomes agency specific. Otherwise, have fun and take any course with any agency you want to.

Well I certainly can't put it any better than Muddiver did but just to add my two cents yes you can.
I have NAUI basic and PADI AOW.

There is a difference in the AOW levels. Unless PADI has changed their program, AOW in Padi is 5 dives trying 5 different specialties after your initial OW class, whereas SSI requires 24 dives after OW class + taking 4 specialties.
I've taken classes from 3 different agencies.
As Muddiver said, you can take pretty much anybody's class, they are more than willing to take your money.

Not mine. If your basic skills that should have been learned in OW are not up to my standards I will not allow a diver to start my AOW class. You should be able to perform all basic skills horizontal in midwater(mask R&R, Reg recovery, weightbelt), know how to do your own weight check, and have decent buoyancy and trim. I also expect you to be completely comfortable doing no mask swims, air shares, and horizontal ascents and descents even if we have to work on them a bit before hand. I charge 30 bucks for a 2-3 hour pool evaluation of skills before doing the AOW class and we go over proper weighting, trim, skills, and emergency procedures. And when you take the AOW class I knock that 30 off the price of the class. Specialties such as UW Nav require better than average buoyancy control, trim, and anti silting kicks before starting that class. If I feel it;s needed we'll also do a couple OW dives to assess comfort and skill levels there. These are done on a fun dive weekend or evening and I do not charge for my time for these. I do not supply equipment however except liftbags, back up lights, stage bottles(for AOW), and reels. You can rent or use your own as long as it meets the course standards and is safe. Ie no spare airs!

Any basic scuba cert will also count as squat if you want to be a Navy/Army diver. If any thing, it will get you additional pushups and ridicule. :D

There is no 'class' for SSI AOW. As mentioned above it is 24 logged dives, and 4 specialties (via training and classes). You then go to the shop and apply for the AOW card. For PADI there is a class. You don't receive specialty ratings but the dives can count toward specialty ratings. In the end you should desire to achieve a well rounded education and experience in diving in a variety of conditions (night, deep, wreck, navigation, etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom