Question about D-Rings on Halcyon Eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccohn2000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have an Eclipse, but I'm pretty sure this is true of the Pioneer too. It has D-rings on the crotch strap. One that hits in low back, and one the sits kinda in the middle on the front. I have been totally curious about what people might attach to these. I've never seen them used. If you put something on the front one it would probably bang you about the knees, not to mention look pretty weird. The one in back might come in handy - but for what????? Does anyone know?

Carol

ccohn2000:
I have an Eclipse, but I'm pretty sure this is true of the Pioneer too. It has D-rings on the crotch strap. One that hits in low back, and one the sits kinda in the middle on the front. I have been totally curious about what people might attach to these. I've never seen them used. If you put something on the front one it would probably bang you about the knees, not to mention look pretty weird. The one in back might come in handy - but for what????? Does anyone know?

Carol

The D-Ring on the front will be to clip off a scotter, the ring on the back can be for numerous things, One of the mose common uses is for your finger spools.

cbsaw got it. The rear D-ring can be used for a backup scooter, too. I most often see people clip a lift bag back there if they use it at all.

I don't use either one.. I keep my SMB and spool in my pocket.

jonnythan:
cbsaw got it. The rear D-ring can be used for a backup scooter, too. I most often see people clip a lift bag back there if they use it at all.

I don't use either one.. I keep my SMB and spool in my pocket.

Johnny,

isnt it proper to clip the lift bag off to the left waist belt d-ring?

That's pretty much it, the front ring is only used as a tow ring for a scooter, as you said, anything you would clip there would only hang too low and get in the way, you can pass the loop end of the crotch strap through the ring to keep it up and out of the way if you're not using it.

The ring in the back can be pretty much used for anything, I keep a reel there, and I clip off spent deco tanks on the back ring once I'm done with them. It keeps things out of the way, but still easily accessable even in fairly tight spots

The rear D-ring can also be used as a handhold for a buddy/team member in case of scooter failure. Reels or objects too big to fit in the thigh pockets can also be clipped off on the rear D-ring.

cbsaw:
Johnny,

isnt it proper to clip the lift bag off to the left waist belt d-ring?
Define proper.

It's certainly not DIR. Having something like that hanging loosely off that D-ring can interfere with your SPG and would certainly not mesh well with stage or deco bottles.

The DIR place for the SMB is your left pocket.

Vie:
The rear D-ring can also be used as a handhold for a buddy/team member in case of scooter failure. Reels or objects too big to fit in the thigh pockets can also be clipped off on the rear D-ring.

Also the crotch strap itself, should be left loose enough, so a buddy can grab through it and hold on when his scotter has failed... the rear d-ring might be tough to reach.. common mistake is leaving that crotch strap too tight...

Flodiver:
That's what I like about this board - you can ponder something for hours - and in 3 minutes you can have the answer :D
And in 3 hours you will have a massive 50-post argument about which of the answers is more right!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom