Question Question about deal with DIN reg and yoke adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a DIN HOG D1 that I use with a yoke adapter at my aquarium gig. This happens pretty much every time now that whether or not I put them on the tank together or first put the adapter on the tank and then screw on the reg, I open the air and it sounds like free flow (not sealed on). I turn off the air, then turn it right back on and perfectly quiet and it works fine from there on. Any ideas what's happening here and how I might be able to get it right the first time I turn on there? Hopefully there's enough info here to go on.

Thanks.

Two things come to mind:
1) try putting the adapter on the reg first, then put the reg on the tank,
2) most likely the adapter is not seating well against the yoke valve inlet; double check that.
In fact, try and figure out where the air is coming from...it is either the adapter-to-valve inlet or the reg-tp-adapter.

Check the condition of the O-ring at the valve to adapter/first stage interface, and also make sure you have the correct size for your valve.

Also, it is not clear if you are using a yoke only valve or a "pro valve" with an adapter screwed in....if the later then as above, be sure to check the O-rings on both sides and check that the adapter plug is snuggly screwed into the valve opening.

-Z

Two things come to mind:
1) try putting the adapter on the reg first, then put the reg on the tank,
2) most likely the adapter is not seating well against the yoke valve inlet; double check that.
In fact, try and figure out where the air is coming from...it is either the adapter-to-valve inlet or the reg-tp-adapter.
Thanks. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I did try #1 and no difference. I'll check #2.

Check the condition of the O-ring at the valve to adapter/first stage interface, and also make sure you have the correct size for your valve.

Also, it is not clear if you are using a yoke only valve or a "pro valve" with an adapter screwed in....if the later then as above, be sure to check the O-rings on both sides and check that the adapter plug is snuggly screwed into the valve opening.

-Z
Thanks. Good question about the valve type. I'll check next time I'm there. As for the correct o-ring size, if it weren't the correct size, would I be able to get any seal at all? On the second try turning on the air I always get the seal and am able to do a long dive with no issues.

Generally speaking valves take 1 of 2 O-ring sizes, and some valves will sorta fit either where the o-ring will sort of stay in place but not really seat correctly. It could be that opening and closing the valve puts enough pressure on the o-ring to smoosh it in place enough that it provides an adequate seal on re-opening the valve. You also might have the wrong hardness of o-ring...you might have a 70durometer instead of 90.

Are you using the same tank every time?

-Z

Also check that the DIN fitting of your 1st stage is properly tightened...they sometimes come loose and can cause intermittent problems similar to what you are experiencing. Stick an Allen key in it and see if it need snugged up.

-Z

Generally speaking valves take 1 of 2 O-ring sizes, and some valves will sorta fit either where the o-ring will sort of stay in place but not really seat correctly. It could be that opening and closing the valve puts enough pressure on the o-ring to smoosh it in place enough that it provides an adequate seal on re-opening the valve. You also might have the wrong hardness of o-ring...you might have a 70durometer instead of 90.

Are you using the same tank every time?

-Z
Ah, interesting. No, rarely the same tank. It's entirely possible about the hardness of the o-ring. I'll try a different one.

Just a followup here. I tried another o-ring and perfect seal. Thanks for all the comments here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom