Question about ditching a BC with all your weight in it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taken off a weight integrated BC several times, my strap was old and the tank kept coming loose until I finally replaced the strap. It's not difficult to pull out an integrated weight, that is unless it was hopelessly tangled somehow but if you can get out of your BC chances are you can cut away the entanglement while still using the gas in your tank. I don't see why you would have to make an ascent without it, if you have a knife.

Well, assuming that getting out of your BCD gets your body free of the entanglement you should now be able to get your BCD untangled and put it back on. Air supply dependent of course. (Air being like money: if you have plenty of it, you can solve any other problem.)

Yep, I agree 110% :D

I was just "theorizing" as to why someone would be ditching a BC underwater in the 1st place, and "entanglement" seemed the most likely answer... I think the whole idea posed by the original poster was a "what if" scenario....

I think far more likely "what-if" scenario for integrated weight BC's would be accidental release of the weights while underwater. This is something I think those wearing integrated BC's should consider... just like I've considered "what-if" my weightbelt came off... I think this whole topic is just food for thought, but is worthwhile considering.

Safe Diving!

Why is everyone with AL tanks so concerned making weight ditch able, yet no one considers it unsafe to dive heavy steels?

Nice! :popcorn:

ninja edit - actually, this whole scenario kind of makes no sense.

I can't see how you can get out of your gear and then not be able to untangle it, sure, there is the difference in buoyancy, but you have 2 hands, one can hold the gear. and fins, you CAN fin down.

I've done this before when a bolt came undone on my BP/W, my tank was loose... can't be that hard..

Z..

Why is everyone with AL tanks so concerned making weight ditch able, yet no one considers it unsafe to dive heavy steels?
Lots of folks say that heavy steel tanks with a wetsuit are not a good idea.
ninja edit - actually, this whole scenario kind of makes no sense.

I can't see how you can get out of your gear and then not be able to untangle it, sure, there is the difference in buoyancy, but you have 2 hands, one can hold the gear. and fins, you CAN fin down.

I've done this before when a bolt came undone on my BP/W, my tank was loose... can't be that hard..

Z..

Hm ... 30 lbs of lead in the bc headed down ... 30 lbs of buoyancy in the suit headed up (that make 60), and I'm left hanging on for dear life whilst flailing away at a gill net with me trusty shark sticker. Not the way I want to die. Better (I think) to put the lead on a belt with a robust buckle.

Good point Zee. I really can't see this being a problem in a regular diving scenario but you can probably make up enough things that could go wrong at one time...:D

Good point Zee. I really can't see this being a problem in a regular diving scenario but you can probably make up enough things that could go wrong at one time...:D

I do agree Thal but I use 10 lbs with a 3mm full and I'm not a small guy. I'm actually overweighted a bit to take photos. If I did use that much weight I would be using a weight belt I think.

What do you guys/gals do when/if this would ever happen??....Just suppose you're down @ 40', in a 5 mm suit(ie pretty bouyant) & for some reason you have to ditch it----for good--remember all your 30+#s of lead is in your intergrated BC & not on you anymore....What's the plan??....TIA---I have always used a belt until last year when I started putting about 1/3 to 1/2 my weight in a new BC so I'm just curious.....

You should distribute enough of your weight to yourself (weight belt etc) that should you need to remove your BC or plate/wing you will be controllable. N

You should distribute enough of your weight to yourself (weight belt etc) that should you need to remove your BC or plate/wing you will be controllable. N

Sounds good in theory, but I always raise the issue of what "I" should do given that with double steel 119s and an AL backplate I'm still a few pounds overweight with no lead whatsoever. So I have no weight to ditch. I guess I could switch to AL doubles and put some lead on a belt, but then I'd have a lot less air. I'll err on the side of having enough air to get out of the jam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom