Question About Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will cheerfully raise my hand to being a warm water, good vis, "fun diver" by choice and experience. When my buddy and I got out to Dutch Springs a few weeks ago in August i can honestly say it hurt below 40 ft for me in a 5 mil. Like a whole body shock and just a generally unpleasant sensation. I am in no way disparaging cold water or quarry diving but honestly having gotten certified in the tropics I can't imagine training on a platform in cold, darker (relative) water when for a relatively comparable price you can do it someplace bright, clear and warm. I say that based on the cost, $40 for entry fee for each day per person, then gear rentals if your shop doesn't supply them, looking at $65 a day for everything per person, vs tropics where you can get a referral cert for $240 including equipment rental, or $350 for OW including everything. Especially since they would most likely be paying for lodging overnight and food anyway of they are coming from Baltimore since it is a 2.5-3 hour drive each way, it might make more sense to just do a short warm weather vacation, just a thought. Dutch Springs seems very professional run and for quarries the vis is great but despite enjoying the experience. would not personally consider it the best choice for OW instruction. on the other hand thousands of people do just that so whatever works for you guys and congrats on the getting the certifications for your family. I am also biased since my SO got certified in the tropics and when she went diving at Dutch basically said "**** this, people do this for fun?" regarding the cold lol

Pennsylvania is probably cooler in Nov. than in April. Either way, a drysuit would probably be the best way to go. The problem being air temp. more than water temp. A drysuit is simpler between and after dives--no dealing with a wet wetsuit, changing in a car (though I imagine Dutch has change houses). OW courses here in the ocean see students in 7 mil wetsuits and staff in drysuits (I was the exception, diving wet for classes). I envied the instructors when they simply took off their drysuits and put on a jacket. Well, unless their drysuit leaked...
Another thing to consider is inland water changes faster with air temps. than does the ocean. The ocean here in April is mid-upper 30s and Nov. is still above 50F. August & Sept. here is when air and water are both at their highs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom