Question About Duty Free At The Grand Cayman Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkwood

MSDT
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
For those who have been through the airport recently and purchased duty free alcohol, did they use, or did they have the "Official Security Bags" available?

These are available in a number of countries. I'd like to know if they are available at the airport in Grand Cayman.

The bags typically a checkmark and arrow in a circle as well as a red border - they look something like this:

Securitybag.jpg

For those of you wondering about the question, if you are making a connecting flight in Canada from a country/airport where these are provided for your duty free alcohol purchases, you can take the bottles through CBSA security. It beats having to pack it into your bag after Customs and before you check your bag through on the connecting flight.

Last edited:
Don't recall what exactly the bags look like at ORIA but the duty free stores do have some sort of bag you can seal liquor purchases in which they say will allow you to carry it through security in the USA and onto your connecting flight without stowing it in checked baggage.

No, there are no bags that will allow us you to carry more than 3 Oz of any liquid on you connecting flight in the USA.

I found this on the US Customs web site, but it says packed in your luggage and doesn't mention carry on.

Can I bring (carry in my baggage) back alcohol for my personal use or as a gift?

Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes, which will be assessed and collected at the port of entry.

No, there are no bags that will allow us you to carry more than 3 Oz of any liquid on you connecting flight in the USA.
Clarification: you can't carry-on more than 3 oz. You can check whatever you want.

My question has nothing to do with flying into the US.

However, since you guys keep bringing the US up, check TSA's own rules on security bags: Liquids Rule

My question still remains, are the security bags used at the airport in Grand Cayman?

I learned something today ( since i live in Toronto, i never need connecting flights) Duty-free Purchases | CATSA | ACSTA

Apparently we Canucks can thumb our noses at the security guards inside Canada if we have obtained the proper special bag for booze that we bought outside of the country. The 3 oz limitation does not apply to this special booze.

BUT: only if we carry our booze in a special bag.

I learned something today ( since i live in Toronto, i never need connecting flights) Duty-free Purchases | CATSA | ACSTA

Apparently we Canucks can thumb our noses at the security guards inside Canada if we have obtained the proper special bag for booze that we bought outside of the country. The 3 oz limitation does not apply to this special booze.

BUT: only if we carry our booze in a special bag.
Yup, that's what my question is about. We usually have to connect through Toronto for most flights to the Caribbean.

Yup, that's what my question is about. We usually have to connect through Toronto for most flights to the Caribbean.
i see a business opportunity for the production of "special bags"...

The special bags are what the TSA calls STEBs - secure, tamper-evident bags. You can make your duty free purchase in Cayman, carry your purchase on the plane, and then go through security can continue to hand carry your purchase. But there are some gotchas according to this article.

The TSA must be able to scan your purchase at the security checkpoint. Booze packed in metal or ceramic containers might not pass screening. Anecdotal reports are that even booze in bottles that are not clear in color might not pass. If the alcohol is not clearly visible then it might not pass. Best to repack in checked luggage when clearing US customs if in doubt.

Your purchase must remain in a sealed STEB. You still are not permitted to open your booze and consume it on the plane. Duh.

Back
Top Bottom