Question about Electronic Log Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I'm old school. or maybe I'm just old, but I think there is more to a log book than the other responders here, and I recommend you keep a paper dive log book even if you have a digital one. First, the only certifications requiring you to present proof of a given number of dives are professional certifications- divemaster, instructor. However, some dive concessionaires will want to see a certain number of logged dives for you to participate on certain dives- especially some wreck dives. A second reason is that I write a lot more information in my log book than the digital download from a computer offers, including topographic features, things and creatures seen, current and wave and wind conditions, what exposure gear I was wearing, how I was weighted, and so on. electrical one. This is really useful as I dive in a variety of venues and conditions, from high altitude cold water to 85 degree seas, and my log book is a reference for me (and others who ask) as to what is proper exposure gear and weighting. Also, I note changes in conditions at time of day and time of year, and can through time accumulate a lot of information on when to dive a site for finding whatever I am after. I also am very much in favor of having someone sign every dive as confirmation it occurred.
Finally, I have new friends put contact information my log. The net result is a great read, at least for me, between dive outings. We are headed soon to a place in Mexico to dive where we have been before. I am reading every logged dive in that area, so we can plan sites we want to do, avoid the ones that were not as cool, and take proper gear/equipment. ( I also log what I had with me I didn't need and what I wish I had that I didn't take.) My log book presents my underwater history, including number of dives (each one verified), total time under the water (a more significant number in my opinion), and lots of interesting notes to call to mind wonderful memories and help plan for making new memories. I have several volumes on the shelf in the scuba room at home, and keep only about the last 100 dives in my "traveling log book." I encourage you to start and always continue, a meaningful log book.
DivemasterDennis

First of all, you will NEVER find any better tech support than what you get from Nick Shore, the developer of Mac Dive. He is amazing, responds to emails in minutes, is great in terms of adding features but keeping the software useable. Seriously, I have never met anyone as good as him in all my years of using computer (going back to a PDP 8 build in 1969!).

Mac Dive is a terrific log program, and the new direct sync ability with dive log on the iPhone is great as well. You can log any amount of comments, photos, GPS coordinates and other dive data (even signatures now!).

I really don't know what to make of the question of anyone ever REQUIRING paper logs. Of course, no one will be able to guarantee you that you will never run into someone who refuses to accept a digital log, but I can't imagine that being a real problem. I agree, this question is usually something that arises very early on in training, but later on it just ceases to be an issue.

I have about 400 dives logged now (every one of them, and all the data, with me at all times on my phone, which is great). I don't keep a paper log (like many divers these days). Suppose I want to do a certain boat dive or become an instructor. Do you really think that the fact that I don't keep a paper log would stop me from doing that?

Remember, we aren't talking about the title deed to a house or a birth certificate. All the log shows is your dive experience. Sure, it would be possible to generate a fake electronic dive log, just like it would be possible to generate a fake paper log. Who is going to do that, really? And does anyone think that instructors or boat captains are really concerned about people generating fake logbooks to get into dive situations that they are not ready for?

I am currently tracking my dive in both hard and soft copy.
I am using Dive Log pro on my Ipad, love it because I can drop pictures from the dive in it.

But becareful, if you Bump it to another buddy, of download dive sites from their server, it will wipe your data. :depressed:

Great information, and as always thanks for all the replies! I went ahead and purchased Dive Log on my iPhone and iPad, and am currently using the trial of Mac Dive. Dive Log is extremely easy to use and understand, though I'm having a harder time with Mac Dive, but I'm getting the hang of it. It's great software!

FWIW, I've been using Dive Buddy Pro on my iPad for the last 8 months and it is one of the most comprehensive, easy to use dive log apps out there. In fact, it's got every one of the pieces of info that DiveMasterDennis brought up with a pull down for each. It's also got the option to add photos, comments, etc. I personally hated writing out log book entries until I was able to do it with the kind of precision that I'm pushed towards with an electronic version. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't take it as an acceptable record of dives. The other nice thing is that you will never lose it as it can be backed up... if you're sitting on a boat writing on the last few pages of that paper log, and it gets knocked overboard by an overzealous, way too involved in rinsing his camera, photographer, you're sunk. You will never get those dives back. If my iPad goes swimming, I just reload the data on the new one that the oblivious shutterbug has sold his insanely overblown for a guy who isn't a pro lighting system that replaces 15 lbs of lead just bought me...

:D

I never bothered with paper logs outside of PADI classes, but I use Dive Log now. If I progress enough in the future to consider doing some of the bigger cave dives, such as Eagle's Nest, someone will want to know how many cave dives I've done, otherwise, I doubt anyone will care.

Just came here looking for recommendations on which ios electronic logbook to go for, some good advice and I was already leaning toward Dive Log since it's a universal app and Dive buddy pro (presumably) has separate versions for each device. I suspect they're both mostly as good as each other in their own way though.

I will continue to keep a paper copy for now, but it'll probably just be a little light on detail compared to the electronic one. And of course, backups are indeed a must...

So thanks for the info in this thread, much appreciated!

... Electronic logs are nice to have because you can back them up. :D ...

... Being able to back up everything to PDF, etc, is also a huge plus. ...

... And of course, backups are indeed a must...

A good time for my periodic suggestion in threads about this subject:
Your paper logbook should be backed up as well.

I scan my paper log to pdf using my HP multifunction inkjet. Most of us have one, or access to one.
At 300 dpi black and white, two standard divelog pages make a ~1 MB image, very readable.
That's 2000 dives in a GB, almost miniscule storage these days for a lifetime of dives.
Takes a few minutes after each dive trip to do the scanning and file organization.

I also download my Cobra to Divelog and "print" these to pdf as well. All of it, the Divelog
xml database and both kinds of pdfs, are backed up periodically with the rest of my digital life.

Both pdfs are on my iPod touch in Air Sharing, so I have access to all of it almost anywhere.

In mac dive I fill in dive type with "rec", "sci", etc so I can later sort and print just those log pages to pdf. This lets me submit log pages as required for various scientific diving control boards or whatever. I also keep track of equipment servicing as required by the same. Sync'd to iphone is great. Printing to pdf and saving on dropbox is my backup too. No problems with signatures yet for dm and other stuff. Now if I could sync this with reef.org survey reports that would be great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom