Question about flash and red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vesebr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey - I'm a fairly new diver, and I just picked up my first camera and housing.
It's a Intova IC-700. It takes very clear pictures topside, but I have yet to test it out underwater.
I dug through the forums and couldn't really get an answer: When using a red filter, should I still be using a flash? (I assume so)

Also, are strobes universal? Would I have to get the Intova brand strobe for this camera?

You DO NOT use red underwater compensating filters with a strobe. If you did your images would look as red as the filter. Red filters are used to compensate for the lack of red wavelengths of light underwater. This is because the reddish spectrum of light are absorbed soonest by water.

Using a strobe recreates the full spectrum of light, for near subjects, underwater.

Strobes, especially those with optically triggered slaves are basically universal. For your camera an optically triggered strobe is the only option.

Here's a web page with strobe comparisons:

Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

IMO your best bets are the more basic strobes offered by Inon or Sea & Sea. Get a fiber optic cable. You will trigger the strobe with your internal flash, through the F/O cable.

Back
Top Bottom