Question about mounting wing to aluminum plate w/o STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a couple of SS plates and all of them have STA. I just got back from Key Largo and they are a bit heavy to travel with so I have a couple of aluminum plates to use. I plan on using the tank bands and no STA. I was wondering how many of you use mounting screws like what DGX sells to keep the wing against the back plate? Or do you just use the cam band straps to keep the wing on the plate? That seems like the wing would move around?? The wings have the ability to stabilize the tank so not worried about that. It just seems like I should use mounting screws in the grommets on the wing to keep wing from being loose on the plate. I know when the tank is mounted it's secure. So what do you guys recommend??

I have a couple of SS plates and all of them have STA. I just got back from Key Largo and they are a bit heavy to travel with so I have a couple of aluminum plates to use. I plan on using the tank bands and no STA. I was wondering how many of you use mounting screws like what DGX sells to keep the wing against the back plate? Or do you just use the cam band straps to keep the wing on the plate? That seems like the wing would move around?? The wings have the ability to stabilize the tank so not worried about that. It just seems like I should use mounting screws in the grommets on the wing to keep wing from being loose on the plate. I know when the tank is mounted it's secure. So what do you guys recommend??
I just use the cambands usually... it does let the wing shift a bit, but I just take care with placement when I latch the first cam band then its locked in place.

Respectfully,

James

With our steel backplates we would use sex bolts to hold the wing on initially. We have tech plates (fabric and rigid plastic) for travel and I just used the cam bands.

FWIW I very happy traveling with the tech plates over aluminum plates. Even less weight, which to compensate we just added a second pair of trim pockets. Worked great.

I used the top bolt to hold it together, it tends to help with tank changes on a boat. I also used the DGX "soft STA" (it's just 2 plastic pipes in a fabric sleeve) -- it works better than the "stabilizer" in my wing.

I've never used an STA or wing bolts, just the cam bands. It takes a second to make sure everything is lined up and then when you close the first cam, it's locked in place. I don't even do it consciously any more, it just happens.

I use the plastic book screws, top & bottom. I did have to melt a hole in the webbing. Zero hassle mounting a tank or otherwise (rinsing, hanging to dry, whatever).

I use the plastic book screws/sex bolts that DGX sells to hold my wing to my back plate (the BP/W I purchased from them a bunch of years ago came with a set). I know of a couple of folks who uses a a couple of zip ties instead of the book screws.

I have never used an STA despite having one. I dive with a Dive Rite Voyager wing and have never had a problem with the tank moving/rolling after cinching down my cam straps. My kids each have HOG wings that built in "roll control" but I don't think it or an STA is necessary at all even with the the book screws under the tank...2 cam bands properly used will provide plenty of security to keep a tank from slipping or moving around.

-Z

I have the same set up as @Zef and it works a treat.

The plastic screws hold the wing securely to the plate, I added a couple of SS washers in between as the holes are slightly oversized for this purpose.

Like lowwall: nothing at all.
Just wet the cam band before if you really want to be sure they stay in place.

@gqllc007, I think I mentioned this in our other discussion, but I abandoned the screws and just use the cam bands as several others have said. It’s super secure, and there are less parts to care for, inspect, tighten, etc. It also helped that I could get the screws to fit in at the height I wanted the wing to be. :wink:

From my (limited) experience, it’s an advantage to be able to take the wing off quickly. It makes cleaning and drying the BP/W assembly easier, you don’t have to worry about your wing wearing more quickly during transit while on the plate, (dive shops and boats aren’t always so careful) and it’s really pretty quick to attach a cylinder once you know where you want the wing. For example, this weekend I will put my wing in my gear bag (it’s around other soft/non-metallic stuff), and the plate and harness can get tossed into the trailer separately when we drive to the marina. No harm, no foul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom