Question about my new steel tank (new to me).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone again. I am back... for questions on another steel tank. While waiting for the yellow LP72 tank is in for hydro and VIP, I run into another steel tank advertised as:
"XS 80CF STEEL Nitrox SCUBA Tank. Can do nitrox or air but air must be filtered for hydrocarbons."

- Isn't any scuba tanks can do nitrox? Isn't air goes in any scuba tanks must be filtered? What is "filtered for hydrocarbons"? Is there a reason for the seller indicating things like this if it is just a normal/usual things?
- Does this tank look like another LP72 to you, or is it really a LP80? Which is a little bigger/better than my yellow LP72?. When I come to check it out, what do I look to make sure that it is really an 80cf?
- The valve said 2400 psi, any concern I have to think about?
- REE62 means it was made in 1962 right?

Thanks everyone again.

Attachments

• 00o0o_43aKLQqsbf9_1200x900.jpg
    00o0o_43aKLQqsbf9_1200x900.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 00n0n_g1d2HXVqATK_1200x900.jpg
    00n0n_g1d2HXVqATK_1200x900.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 00g0g_dVokblyeaCU_1200x900.jpg
    00g0g_dVokblyeaCU_1200x900.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 95
- Isn't any scuba tanks can do nitrox?

If a cylinder has been O2 cleaned then it can be used for NITROX. That is the cylinder industry standard. Then there is the scuba industry do whatever standard ...

Isn't air goes in any scuba tanks must be filtered? What is "filtered for hydrocarbons"? Is there a reason for the seller indicating things like this if it is just a normal/usual things?

Not all air is created equal. There is Grade E Air which is plain ole air. And then there is modified Grade E air, aka hyper filtered air, aka Oxygen compatible air which is for NITROX.

- Does this tank look like another LP72 to you, or is it really a LP80? Which is a little bigger/better than my yellow LP72?. When I come to check it out, what do I look to make sure that it is really an 80cf?

Not a LP72 but probably an LP85. Post up more of the neck markings.

- The valve said 2400 psi, any concern I have to think about?
The working pressure is 2400 psi plus 10%. As such, the valve is marked as 2400 based on the over pressure valve. (CORRECTION EDIT REQUESTED BY THE OP: 'As such, the valve is marked as 2400 based on the burst disk installed.')

- REE62 means it was made in 1962 right?

No it was made in 2011. Look for the 11+ On the other side of the marks in between is the month.

The REE is the Rejection Elastic Expansion, when the re-qual test is done and the expansion number is less than that then cylinder can be "Plus" rated giving the extra 10% fill.

The last re-qual done in 08/17 they did not do the math as such it does not have the plus rating. So technically it can only be filled to 2400 psi which at that pressure you get 77 CuFt instead of a full 85 CuFt at 2640psi (2400+10%)

Thanks Scared silly,
So, this particular tank will just a little less air compare to the normal LA80?
If I get this tank, all I need is VIP. If it goes smooth, I can fill it with normal air (at scuba shop) and dive with it, no extra step? (I don't have training for Nitrox yet.)
Thanks again

First off, I am not an expert on gear or gas mixes, not a tank filler, and not instructor of any kind. Just a guy with a nitrox cert who owns my own tanks. My understanding is that:

If the tank passes VIP, then you can put air from any shop in there, and it will work and be perfectly safe. Since the tank is safe for nitrox, it will be safe for air. However if you want to use it for nitrox in the future, you will want to ensure that your fill operators put O2 clean air in the tank. If they put regular air in it, it may contain some contaminants which will void the nitrox rating. These contaminants aren't unsafe to breathe, but they are a fire hazard around high-O2 gas mixes (such as 100% O2).

If you want to learn more about this, I would highly recommend that you take a nitrox course. It's maybe 50 pages of reading, plus a 2-hour in-person course with some hands-on experience with tanks, analyzers, etc. Typically no dives required, and very cheap.

Thanks Scared silly,
So, this particular tank will just a little less air compare to the normal LA80?
If I get this tank, all I need is VIP. If it goes smooth, I can fill it with normal air (at scuba shop) and dive with it, no extra step? (I don't have training for Nitrox yet.)
Thanks again

Little more than an AL80. Difference is that you can (sometimes, depending where you are) fill it to a higher pressure and then it will hold significantly more air than the HP tank.

Thanks guys,
Here are some more pics.

Yes, it is an LP85, not 80, I can see it now.

What I want to know from this is if it is a good tank to dive with normal air from scuba shop (clean air?), not Nitrox for now, but maybe in the future when I have the chance to go get Nitrox certified... and of course I want something better than my other LP72.

If I ask to take off the valve to look inside for obvious rust and such, will that avoid the Nitrox rating, or hurt anything?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Resized_20200316_143442.jpg
    Resized_20200316_143442.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Resized_20200316_143450.jpg
    Resized_20200316_143450.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Resized_20200316_143509.jpg
    Resized_20200316_143509.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 83
It's an excellent tank. Can't see a VIS sticker but you still have 2 years left before your next Hydro. Don't sweat the "air" stuff. Any LDS will fill it with compatible air preserving the Nitrox status.

You will most likely have to have a VIS done. The store will inspect the tank and report back to you regarding the condition. If you drain, you WILL have to get a VIS inspection done anyway. Leave it to the pros.

Seller indicated that I have to have visual inspect done, but not hydro. Going to get it tonight

....... One bad thing about seeing good deal and can't resist is that I end up having too many gears I don't really need, and some I didn't know about when I got them :D this tank definitely sounds like a one I am going to use

Thanks guys.

Seller indicated that I have to have visual inspect done, but not hydro. Going to get it tonight

....... One bad thing about seeing good deal and can't resist is that I end up having too many gears I don't really need, and some I didn't know about when I got them :D this tank definitely sounds like a one I am going to use

I don't know LP85 yet, but LP95 is definitely a little too heavy for me, mostly shore dive. I will know LP85 soon.... I understand about heavy tank = less weights.

Thanks guys.

How much was the tank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom