Question about Nitrox certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebird36

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently signed up to take a Nitrox certification through NAUI at my LDS. I know that through NAUI you must do 2 dives after the class to get the certification and if you don't you get a "recognition" card. Would it be worth it to get the recognition card? Would I be able to dive Nitrox with one? Or should I refund my money and take it through another LDS that offers the PADI course for a little bit more and would give me a cert with no dives? Or just take the NAUI course along with the dives?

-Paul

The requirement during the two dives is that one is repetitive and the student must analyze their own gas. I would just do the dives....it's basically just going diving with a NAUI instructor as a buddy. You can go the padi route if you want, there's nothing wrong with that either. The NAUI course like all NAUI courses will beach more physics and mathematics intensive though, teaching you much more than just....here's the ean32 table and plan your dives.

Ask yourself some of these questions -
  • Am I confident in all aspects of diving that I have been trained on so far, or would two more dives with professional supervision increase my comfort and skill level?
  • How soon will I be using the Nitrox certification? Will making the two required dives interfere with these plans?
  • Will the two required dives be fun and enjoyable, or simply performing a task to achieve a certification?

Then make up your own mind. I don't see a right or wrong answer.

Well the thing is I live up north where it's cold and I've been down south where it's warm and I'm pretty spoiled now. I mean I could just grow a pair and bite the bullet. And to answer the second one I have no idea when I will be diving nitrox and I just took my advanced and pretty confident. Depends on the dives though don't know if it's enjoyable but it's definitely getting the task done.

I was just looking up about that I would consider it but not much to really see unless you go to the great lakes which I guess there is some wrecks but they are far down I believe.

I took TDi Nitrox with no required dives and do not feel that I missed a thing. I honestly do not see how dives would add much to the course besides time and cost. One can demonstrate tank analysis, dive planning, MOD, etc without the need to get wet.

Of course, none of this really answers your question if you can rent nitrox tanks with a recognition card. Anyone have that answer?

There is your answer then.

Back
Top Bottom