Question about orcas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pupdiver:
Orca attacks on humans in the wild are extremely rare but have occurred. Here is a Seattle Times article about one such attack. The article claims no fatal orca attacks have ever been reported.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002445380_orca19m.html

Very interesting article. From my perspective it does more to support the theory that orcas will NOT attack humans than to represent evidence that they do.

What a frightening and unique experience for that whole family. And that's a tough kid to be swimming in that ~40F water.

-Ben M.

ps - This article was especially interesting to me. I lived in Ketchikan as a little kid. My Dad worked for the Forest Service and based on the description I think I've been to that cabin/beach (and we did see Orcas from a distance)!

There have been no recorded incidents. There was once where a surfer was mistakenly grabbed by an orca, but it let go right away. Other than a few training accidents in captivity with one fatality, I haven't heard anything in the wild happening. There's a PBS documentary called: "Killer Whales up close and personal" Its about a studied pod off the Crozet Islands in the India Ocean. This pod beaches itself to grab seals, elephant seals, and peginiuns. Interesting note, the orcas have accepted the divers filiming them so they are able to get some great underwater shots. Then again, the divers are not like the "crocodile hunter" and know how to give these animals their space for them to act naturally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom