Question about PADI tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does the table assume that a surface interval of 0 still involves surfacing with a safety stop?

The RDP does not assume a safety stop for any of the data. If it did, it would cease to be a no-stop table.

The thing is every ten years they have been changing the numbers on the tables to make them safer and printing them on thinner plastic to make them cheaper and only every ten years or so because printing costs money so numbers that would not be appropriate for multilevel today if you used tables of yesterday would be incorporated without actually doing a multilevel plan sort of.

Download a copy of U.S.N. Diving Manual to see where it started, as an indicator.

I appreciate everyone's input. So I've been comparing a few more of my calculations with the eRDPml and everything comes out the same with one exception: the eRDPml will not calculate something as multilevel if the two levels don't differ by at least 6 meters. I guess it considers these differences irrelevant and the dive should just be figured with the deeper number. Just some food for thought.

Not exactly what you are asking but if you start at the deeper part of your multi-level profile and work your way shallow it's pretty hard to get into trouble with single tanks. It can be done of course:)

Not exactly what you are asking but if you start at the deeper part of your multi-level profile and work your way shallow it's pretty hard to get into trouble with single tanks. It can be done of course:)

The eRDPml seems to agrees with you. It won't allow any multilevel dives that go from shallow to deep (and logically so). So I guess I arrive at the conclusion that with certain safety limitations in place, the RDP can be used for multi-level planning...again, in a limited sense.

Back before computers began spoiling divers, us old coots used to use the standard Navy dive tables to plan multilevel dives when the need, or desire, arose.

The way it's done is plan the desired depths as separate dives with no surface interval between them, then stick to the plan.

However, when diving on a single tank, it was just more convenient to plan the dive as a square profile using the deepest level of the dive. But, yes, multilevel dive planning can be done using the RDP.

Back
Top Bottom