Question about safety and security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is being pickpocketed a big problem on Coz?

Not really.

is it safer to carry a small amount of cash to Coz and use credit cards versus using the hotel safe to store cash and passport?

Safer? No. It's safer to use the hotel safe, but that's an unnecessary pain.

Are the atms safe to use?

Some are. Some are not. The usual recommendation is to use ATM's inside banks. Some feel safe using bank ATM's inside the large grocery stores. Never use freestanding ATM's on the street.

My understanding is that all the drinking water on Coz is from a desalination plant and safe to drink, is that a correct assumption?

All the water is from a plant and is safe when it leaves the plant. The pipes are in poor condition, so I would never drink water from the tap.

How about walking around at night in the tourist areas downtown, is there a problem of personal safety?

Cozumel is a growing city in an economically troubled area that sees lots of short-term visitors who appear very wealthy to many disadvantaged locals. There are are assaults and robberies. My sense is that the risks are lower than in a US city of comparable size, but things do happen. It's wise to take simple precautions.

Last edited:
As someone who worked in the banking industry for 10+ years I wanted to add a few things about CC and debit use..<br>Don't be afraid of using your CC. Between you and a merchant, visa/mc etc will side with you. If you suspect fraudulent charges give them a call and let them deal with it, it's their money and they have the power to recover it and to clear those funds so you can continue on your way if necessary. <br>Keep in mind CC companies don't make money on end users (well not if you're doing it right), they get it from merchant fees (so you using your card makes them money and it's in their best interest to keep you using it). <br>I've only had to use the charge back feature a few times, but it was very painless.<br><br>Debit cards.. This is your money, period. If you have your card skimmed or some other fraud then it's your cash being stolen and good luck getting your bank to deal with it in a timely fashion, certainly won't be while you're on vacation. You will get it back but it could take weeks. <br><br>For bank machines, I've noticed that Royal bank and Scotia seem to have branches and machines popping up all over Mexico so I tend to look for those and use them. Both are large Canuk banks and should be safe to use.

I had credit card fraud after my first trip to Cozumel, as did about three other people who I traveled with. I guess I don't consider that "unsafe" (maybe just a terrible annoyance), because I still think Cozumel is safer than most U.S. cities. I didn't find out until I got home and my credit card company called me because they wanted to ask me about a bunch of charges that were done on the mainland after I left.

Because of my credit card experience, I usually try to limit my credit card use to two times on a trip - the dive shop and hotel (the two bigger charges). I use cash for everything else, and try not to carry too much on me at any one given time. I also try to appear over-the-alert if I'm walking alone after dark; I do that at home too. But, I would feel safer walking after dark on a well traveled street in Cozumel than I would at home.

Also, now I always have to tell my credit card company when I'm going because otherwise sometimes they shut my card down after the first out-of-the-country use.

I charge everything I can. I need points for free Cozumel flights!!! Small price to dispute a few charges.

I did dispute a double charge at Guidos in September, but Guidos refunded it and corrected it before the Chase could.

I don't get that statement at all. Credit cards have no liability. If there's a fraudulent charge, you notify them and you don't pay it. What's risky about that?
Old news - not true any more with PIN based cards.
<snip>Use the American Express® Card online or off, and you won't be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, as long as you've taken reasonable care to protect your account details and PIN.</snip>
With the advent of PIN based cards the credit card companies have now transferred the fraud liability to the card holder.

Your exposure becomes even worse with the advent of "payWave" cards. Visa payWave | Visa USA

Old news - not true any more with PIN based cards.
<snip>Use the American Express® Card online or off, and you won't be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, as long as you've taken reasonable care to protect your account details and PIN.</snip>
With the advent of PIN based cards the credit card companies have now transferred the fraud liability to the card holder.

Your exposure becomes even worse with the advent of "payWave" cards. Visa payWave | Visa USA

Are you sure? I thought the max card holder liability by law is $50? Did they change the law? The bit about reasonable care seems reasonable. Like if you intentionally share your info, you might be liable.

And your paywave link says right on the page ZERO fraud liability.

Ok, update: Here is the law from Federal Trade Commission

Very limited liability..... And from what I read American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa take full responsibility for unauthorized purchases.

And I NEED those free plane tickets!!!

Hi Guys!

I'm going to be making my first trip to Coz since 1991. Back then, I felt that Coz was one of the safest places around (as tourist places goes). Recently, I was on a couple of tourist boards and they are saying to watch out for the little kids selling stuff and don't carry any cash around.

Is being pickpocketed a big problem on Coz? Also, is it safer to carry a small amount of cash to Coz and use credit cards versus using the hotel safe to store cash and passport? Are the atms safe to use?

My understanding is that all the drinking water on Coz is from a desalination plant and safe to drink, is that a correct assumption?

How about walking around at night in the tourist areas downtown, is there a problem of personal safety?

As I said, 20 years ago, I wouldn't have worried about any of these questions, with the exception of the water :=)

Thanks!

1. I've NEVER been approached by kids trying to sell or beg for money on Cozumel ... ever.

2. Pick pockets? no.

3. The locals don't even drink the water ... bottled water only. Most hotels also provide water coolers in public spaces as well.

4. I walk around town all times day and night with no issues.

Are you sure? I thought the max card holder liability by law is $50? Did they change the law? The bit about reasonable care seems reasonable. Like if you intentionally share your info, you might be liable.

And your paywave link says right on the page ZERO fraud liability.

Ok, update: Here is the law from Federal Trade Commission

Very limited liability..... And from what I read American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa take full responsibility for unauthorized purchases.

And I NEED those free plane tickets!!!
The law has not changed. The definition of "authorized transaction" has changed.

PIN cards transfer all liability to the merchant and the card holder.
Bank customer's lawsuit raises questions about fraud liability - Canada - CBC News

PIN cards have been declared totally secure by the credit card cartel (although there is a known exploit) and so any and all transactions with a PIN card are now considered "authorized".

And you need to read the fine print for the "zero liability"... Mastercard ->"you have not reported two or more unauthorized events in the past 12 months."

1. I've NEVER been approached by kids trying to sell or beg for money on Cozumel ... ever.
have you come during Christmas? We haven't been out at night yet without seeing dozens if groups of kids with a decorated palm frond and collection can offering to sing for us. They all take no gracias well though.

also, When hen we took a cab to La Perlita (the singing kids were there too not just on the main strip) kids opened the cab doors with their hands out as soon as we stopped. We gave them something but it didn't felt like pressure.

And we don't have a car but multiple people told us kids offered to "watch the car" for a few pesos. They all said they paid because were scared it was more of a threat...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom