Question about safety and security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The law has not changed. The definition of "authorized transaction" has changed.

PIN cards transfer all liability to the merchant and the card holder.
Bank customer's lawsuit raises questions about fraud liability - Canada - CBC News

PIN cards have been declared totally secure by the credit card cartel (although there is a known exploit) and so any and all transactions with a PIN card are now considered "authorized".

And you need to read the fine print for the "zero liability"... Mastercard ->"you have not reported two or more unauthorized events in the past 12 months."

Ah, there is the problem. You are Canadian, I was talking US. Lemme translate:

US law says if a hoser steals your US card, eh, you don't have to pay more than $50 US dollars, for sure. In fact, certain cards won't make you pay a single loonie even if he bought 2000 pound of back bacon. So let that dart steal your US card number, the chirp won't cost you money even if you were acting the real gorby, so don't blow your touqe.

That clear it up, eh?

---------- Post added December 9th, 2014 at 02:11 PM ----------

1. I've NEVER been approached by kids trying to sell or beg for money on Cozumel ... ever.

You missed the joy of Christmas. They will be WORKING the restaurant to pay for their Christmas parties. Some of them are SO adorable. Some of them suck. Either way, I make them sing the WHOLE thing. I am a rules guy.

have you come during Christmas? We haven't been out at night yet without seeing dozens if groups of kids with a decorated palm frond and collection can offering to sing for us. They all take no gracias well though.

Yes, this is a seasonal thing that's unique to the area (not Mexico-wide). We had 4 groups of kids approach us during one dinner at Casa del Mojito. I think of it as akin to trick-or-treating or "penny for the Guy" rather than begging. We carry a stack of change for this, but as reported they cheerfully take a "no, thanks" by saying "Merry Christmas" and moving on. We usually force them to sing, which seems to be about equal torture for them and for us.

And we don't have a car but multiple people told us kids offered to "watch the car" for a few pesos. They all said they paid because were scared it was more of a threat...

We do have a car and that has never, ever happened. It's possible that's because it's clearly not a rental.

Card skimmers fall outside your responsibility as a customer. Unless you're attempting to use a cardboard box with ATM stenciled on with crayon you're pretty well covered. As for pay wave, transaction are limited to $30-50 per transaction so again liability is limited.

Old news - not true any more with PIN based cards.
<snip>Use the American Express® Card online or off, and you won't be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, as long as you've taken reasonable care to protect your account details and PIN.</snip>
With the advent of PIN based cards the credit card companies have now transferred the fraud liability to the card holder.

Your exposure becomes even worse with the advent of "payWave" cards. Visa payWave | Visa USA

---------- Post added December 9th, 2014 at 07:41 PM ----------

If I understand the article correctly (it's not exactly clear) it seems someone actually used his card, as in swiped it and put in the pin.. He says it wasn't him and they are asking him to prove it. He claims it was either lost or stolen, but he failed to report that to the CC company. That's not only a clear violation of the terms of the card holder agreement but pretty shifty in this guys case.

US law says if a hoser steals your US card, eh, you don't have to pay more than $50 US dollars, for sure. In fact, certain cards won't make you pay a single loonie even if he bought 2000 pound of back bacon. So let that dart steal your US card number, the chirp won't cost you money even if you were acting the real gorby, so don't blow your touqe.

That clear it up, eh?

---------- Post added December 9th, 2014 at 02:11 PM ----------

You missed the joy of Christmas. They will be WORKING the restaurant to pay for their Christmas parties. Some of them are SO adorable. Some of them suck. Either way, I make them sing the WHOLE thing. I am a rules guy.

That clear it up, eh?
-
Yes! Excellent. I now understand. Mostly...

But the delegate from the University of Tuktoyaktuk (Tuk U) only awards a score of 8 out of 10 due to a perceived lack of cultural inclusiveness based upon the omission of any reference to "poutine". Especially truffled goat cheese poutine with seared foie gras.
http://www.trevorkitchenandbar.com/menus/dr-menu.pdf

As part of your penance, you are required to view the following words of wisdom from our ambassadors to the world: Bob & Doug https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04u58ifxmRA

Christmas in action:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 97

Back
Top Bottom