Question about shore diving in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sol Seeker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all - Hope your Friday is going well.

Question: I'm leaving for Bonaire tomorrow and I keep hearing about the beautiful shore diving we'll be doing, along with the need for heavy booties to walk to the water over what can be a rocky shoreline.

Will 3 mil wetsuit "socks" with rubber soles work (specifically Scubapro 3mil Go Socks)?

I'm loathe to bring 7 mil booties and the cold water fins that fit them since they weight a ton, take up half my dive bag, and we'll be doing a fair amount of boat diving as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - Thank you!

Best,
Ewan

Others will likely disagree but I think you can get away with it. I've stuck with tropical booties similar to that until a few years ago. You will feel what you are walking on which won't always be ideal, but being able to feel what you are walking on some can be helpful too. You will probably finesse your way over the rocks rather than stomp over them.

If you have something like a pair of strappy Tevas that will fit over your booties, you might consider having them as a backup plan, just have a way to clip them to you when you swap to fins in the water.

If they're the Scubapro's with neoprene sides, they 'll probably get shredded over the week.

I'm not suggesting this b/c you slip a lot but I used surf walkers with some success - they had canvas sides though - not neoprene.

There's some things you can do to mitigate it. At some of the sites, there's a sandy area that leads out to deeper water. Here;s an example of one at at Vista Blue. http://shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/BonaireS/Vista_Blue/c004508.jpg

Not all sites have them and at some the ironshore extends into the water. At Angel City it's more fun since there's holes in it at the surf line. I stepped in one there, twisted my ankle and shredded my shin on something sharp.

Also generations of divers b4 you have marked the easiest entry points at some sites - often with a pile of coral rubble.

The other issue is there's a lot of urchins. I think they'd go right thru a dive sock if you stepped on one.

You can also buy better boots on Bonaire if needed. I believe Buddy Dive, Toucan Dive at the Plaza or one of the Dive Friends locations all stock them. I'd go with a 5mm with a good sole personally.

It;s not just rocky, ironshore can be razor sharp. I grabbed it once to pull myself out and shredded my fingertips.

I do agree with damselfish though - something with a little feel could be useful in picking your way out till you're floating. I think a hard sole might actually be worse unless you just want to smash your way in.

I just got back from Bonaire. I used thin 2mm booties (Mares Equator) but I also have a pair of 2mm socks that I use inside, mostly to cushion against rubbing. Worked fine for me, but the only shore diving I did was at 18th Palm. The rest were boat dives.

Brilliant advice guys! Thank you! I'm going to ditch the 7mil booties and heavy fins. If I regret it, I'll post a follow up to any future Bonaire visitors on here.

Some slight discomfort may accompany adventure. :) Have a great day!

I wouldn't want a 7 mil boot either, but I also wouldn't want to worry about my footing or only choose the easiest shore dive entries because I didn't have the right tool for the job. Sounds like you're on your way out the door, but all is not lost. :) Go with what you've got. If it's not working for you, there are options on island. You can find a "tropic boot" at Dive Friends retail shops, Bruce Bowker's, etc. Just don't wait until you break something. Have fun. :)

I dive these in Bonaire (just an example)...
Akona Low Cut Molded Sole 3.5mm Boots (AKBT638)

Most of the dive resorts are good dives also. Most are free - just check in with the shop. Habitat has a small fee. Most have dive docks but the in water steps are slick.

Also there is a few easier entries - mostly on the north side. 1000 Steps is a beach once you get down them (there's 64) Also several sites have ladders like the two Leap sites. Bachelors Beach to the south has a ladder - if the tide is in you fall in the water, if it's out there's a small beach.

Good to do some boat dives though - you can't get to the 25 sites off Klein Bonaire any other way. One of the best out there is Forest. On our boat, when asked 4-5 people asked to dive Rappel on the north Bonaire coast - the name indicates the other way down.

At some, save the money. People dive the Hooker from shore and regularly meet divers from a boat on the wreck. And we dove Weber's Joy from a boat - several days later we parked there and did it again - easy shore entry down sort of a steeper bank but there was no ironshore where we went in. And don't pay for a boat ride to Salt Pier - the better pilings are the ones 20-50' from the beach.

Pictures of a lot of the entries can be seen here -
Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands
some are a little dated - Bari Reef for example is shown pre-Den Laman condos and they've been there for years.

Great advice all. Thank you! We're diving with Toucan so if it's an issue, I'll pick up some more robust booties. Have a great weekend!

Toucan is a great operation. 3mm socks should be fine for entering the water at the house reef at the Plaza. Enjoy your trip!

Dive Friends Bonaire has good retail prices. One shop is near Buddy Dive. I would buy 3mm boots and be done with it. You do need foot protection otherwise you will need medical attention if you get cut deep. That will be more expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom