Question about twin tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first doubles dive was at Cove 2 with Uncle Pug. It was like learning how to dive all over again. I floundered around, stirring up a tremendous cloud of silt just trying to get off the bottom. When I finally found a "sweet spot" and started to feel like I could actually hold a hover, he gave me an OOA signal, and the process started all over again. ... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ha! That was exactly what I went through! I was experimenting a little, putting my hand on my wing and shifting my body around to have a feel of how the air in the wing reacts, then proceeding to find the "right" position to stay in trim. Then the instructor signaled for me to start on the 5 drills and it was task loading galore, and being all over the place again. :dork2:

No...

I am purposefully holding off until I get permission from my wife :wink:

Dude, I'm thankful for this job of mine that not only pays for my diving, but also giving me an office of my own, where I can stash my new and EXPENSIVE toys. :D And when the wife discovers, I'd fall back on Lamont's argument of how it's SO much safer than my old gear. :eyebrow:

Here I have to tell a story. I dive with a very nice man who is my regular buddy and class partner. We hooked up after Fundies (which we took two months apart) and have been working together since. I have worried a great deal about what his wife thinks of him taking off after work and not coming home until all hours, when she knows he's out with another woman.

Finally, I met her. Her first words to me were something like, "Oh, I'm SO glad Kirk took up diving with you! You're a SAFE diver. The people he used to dive with WEREN'T safe divers."

So the safety things can work with wives . . .

Alright, Lamont, I have to ask, is the can light "safety equipment", or are you referring to permission from the wife?

Unfortunately, I have two things working against me:
1. My wife also dives, so she mostly knows when I'm bulls**tting her.
2. She has a good friend at the shop I frequent most often, so she can always find out exactly how much I paid for anything.

And as for the doubles, I've just gone through three shipments from Divers Supply, and I still don't have Bolts that actually fit through the bands. I think the hardest part of diving doubles for me might be actually getting them set up.
:bigun2:

Alright, Lamont, I have to ask, is the can light "safety equipment", or are you referring to permission from the wife?

can light is definitely safety equipment. the buddy system, or team diving requires that you stay in contact and be able to communicate and the can light is an integral part of that system. going with lesser equipment and really you increase the chances of separation and increase the possibility that a signal could be missed. goodman handles are also important since they allow you to use the light while using your hands at the same time...

2. She has a good friend at the shop I frequent most often, so she can always find out exactly how much I paid for anything.

yeah, you've got a problem with #2 there. it works better when the wives don't dive and don't know any other divers. of course once you start hiding the cost you can never hang out socially both with the wife and with other divers. the worst thing is when two wives get together and start comparing notes on equipment costs...

And as for the doubles, I've just gone through three shipments from Divers Supply, and I still don't have Bolts that actually fit through the bands. I think the hardest part of diving doubles for me might be actually getting them set up.
:bigun2:

Not trying to derail the thread but try your local hardware store. SS threaded rod, nothing special about it. I had to buy my own threaded rod for both my sets of doubles. Actually worked out better because I was able to get the lengths exactly where I wanted them. The bottom holes on my bands seemed to take longer bolts than the top.

As to the OP, you just need to log some hours in the new rig. Everyone is going to require something a little different to trim out. I started diving doubles early on & had no problems diving them. Now, I don't dive anything but. On the other hand, after going through tech training, I had to readjust just about everything.

Being able to hit your valves in a split second is crucial. As to moving around in the water while doing valve drills, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, if you can maintain your depth within a couple feet. It doesn't have to be pretty. It will get easier & more fluid w/ practice.

Compile the advice you receive here & log some hours in a quarry or a pool. Time spent in the water will be your best teacher.

It is actually the bands that are defective. When the formed bands were welded to the small steel plates, the holes didn't line up, so the holes aren't really ...errr... round.

They sent me the same bands twice now...

I have the opposite problem...
My girlfriend dives, and at some point she's going to need all the same equipment I have. She's getting close as it is. Instead of buying one set of gear and trying to hide it, we have to buy 2 sets. :wink:

Although this setup has its bonuses. She just got me some drygloves for my birthday. :D

Hi b1gcountry,
If you know what length rods you need I'd be happy to make them & ship them to you. I'd assume T316 stainless, 5/16 - 18. If you wanna PM me I can do this in a day, and of course at no charge. Anything I can do to help out a fellow diver.

Kevin

Thank you very much for the kind offer. I hope I have it figured out with Divers Supply. The bands they send me were just defective, and the customer Service didn't understand and shipped the same bands back to me. I'm having them ship me another set of bands before I send these back. Should prevent them sending me the same set again. Its not Divers Supply's fault the bands are drilled wrong, but it is the returns department's fault they didn't listen to me.

Tom

Arrgh! I've been having some serious issues with putting these doubles together. I started a thread here. (I don't want to hi-jack this one any more than I already have) If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom