Question: diving in Varadero, Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filutek

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to Varadero in October with my son, we will stay in Club Puntarena. I heard that there is good diving there, also warnings about quality of rental gear...
Questions:
- any dive shops around worth recommendation?
- does it make sense to try dive shop in the Puntarena, or should I head straight for PADI shop next to the Kawama Hotel?
- what are the best dive sites for a sea critter lover?
Thanks for all pointers, I do not know Cuba, so I can use some advice.

I dove with barracuda last time i was in cuba. Honestly, VERY unimpressed with their service. The try scuba people had instuction including "put this in mouth, put on fins, and kick your feet". The experienced people were taken on a bit of a tour down the wall, told "let me know when you are half tank" tried a couple of times to get the DM's attention he blissfully ignored us and motored off in his own little world. I would not dive with these people again, and I certainly wouldnt reccommend them to anyone

We are leaving in 4 weeks for Sandals at Varadero. We went there last year because no kids and couples only. Found out the diving was free so my husband did the resort course; which was also free. He got in 4 shallow dives and loved it so much we are going back this year for two weeks so he can get certified. Not free but comparable price. (Amazing since I've tried to get him interested for 17 years with no luck) You get two dives free per day. 9am to about 70 ft and then 10:30 to about 30 ft.

Not the best diving in the Caribbean but hey it's free ...:D The equipment was surprisingly good (but we're taking our own down this time) plus the instructors & DM were pretty good.

We'll try to get him some dives over the 11 days so we'll be more relaxed when we go to Roatan in Febbruary.

Hope you find a good place.

Betty

I dove with Barracuda for a week in Varadero a few years ago, had a good week. The best dive was the two Russian wrecks, I'd put that one in the top 10 of my 300 dives. They took us on a day trip to the Bay of Pigs all the way across the island on a stormy day. It was a gorgeous wall. The trip out to the marine park in Varadero is a long boat ride and back, like Cozumel. Take a book.

I'm heading to Varadero too in November to Be Live turquesa resort. TripAdvisor and other references seem to confirm that Barracuda dive shop should be avoided.
Any other suggestions as a dive shop in the area ?

Just got back from Varadero last Sunday. We stayed two weeks at Sandals where the diving is all free. The dive centre there is run by Barracuda which I'm told is government owned and runs everything.

My husband got his ACUC Open Water which was the purpose of the trip. The course was fine but the one English speaking instructor was stretched thin with the free resort courses every Mon-Wed-Fr + my husband OW + an AOW for a guy from England. Glad we were there for two weeks. Probably couldn't do it in just one week. They have now switched people around and the Sandals location now has 4 instructors; 3 who speak good English. It seems they want to become an advance dive centre. We even had people from the Ibostar resort next door. We'll see.

Or maybe we won't. Hubby is already talking about going somewhere else next September rather than returning to Sandals for a 3rd time. Maybe Sandals in Jamaica but I'm not liking the reviews here on Jamaica diving. We'll see as we've got a year to decided. Plus we're off to Roatan in February and that may make him really agree that diving at Sandals Varadero sucks.

Betty

Big thanks for advice, as it turned out... my Varadero trip was cancelled by the company, so I picked up replacement in Club Amigo Manayabo in Santa Lucia, leaving today, I will post my impressions.

I actually had a good experience with Barracuda. We did six dives in total and the "hands off approach" is something I am not used to but didnt mind. Bay of pigs was well worth the trip.

I will be in Varadero this November and I plan to do some dives. My wife and I will be staying in the Iberostar Laguna Azul. According to my research, there is only one government agency that runs all the dive ops around Cuba. In Varadero, there are three dive operators. One at the south (Acua), in the middle (Barracuda), and one in the north end (Gaviota). As with the other posts, Breezes and a few other resorts have their own dive ops. My resort is at the north end so I am planning to dive with Gaviota.

I will take all my gear with me (less tanks and weights, of course). I have had bad experiences with rental gear and I don't want to take any chances in Cuba.

One question that I have is on yoke-type regs. Do they have yoke valves on their tanks or they use DIN?

If yes you can walk over to Sandals and get two dives for 70 or 75 CUC. We met a German couple who did that. First day they did the two dives (deep at 9am and shallow at 10:30) but a tip would be to do two days of deep diving. The shallow dive sucks plus you have to walk/swim out to the boat so having to come ashore to change tanks is tiring. Best to do two days one dive/day. That's what the German couple did for their next two dives.

Betty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom