Question for anyone who has stayed at the Sand Dollar resort...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwilli10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering renting a condo at the Sand Dollar that is located in the building closest to the BDA dive shop. Can anyone offer an opinion as to how noisy staying in that area might be? When I'm not diving, I'd prefer to avoid being entertained by a symphony of compressors and clanking tanks.

The Sand Dollar Condos are situated in building A-F, with A the closest to the dive center, Bonaire Dive and Adventure. You might hear something from building A, although I doubt it. The dive center is not a noisy place even when two boat's worth of divers are loading gear.

I stayed in Den Laman, which houses that dive shop, and actually stayed in the room above the shop. We never heard anything at all unless we had the windows open. There are two places the tanks get filled, one on the dock and one across from the shop. Both are far enough away not to be a noise problem, especially if you're staying at Sand Dollar. You'll love the house reef...Bari Reef. Excellent dive day or night!

I stayed in building A two years ago. Top floor last apartment near the dive shop. I occassionally heard the compressor, but nothing else unless I had a window or door open. I liked the short walk to the pier and Den Lamen for breakfast.

If you get a chance rent unit A15. We have stayed in Sand Dollar 5 times and by far A15 was the nicest with the screened in patio and underwater decor. PM me your email and I will send you some pics of the unit if you would like. We heard the compressor only slightly but we only slept past 6 a.m. once. Compressor doesn't come on until 7:45-8:00 if i remember right.

Scott.

As owner of Unit A 3, ground floor studio, I think i am qualified to answer this question. YES, at times if your back door or windows are open you can hear the humm of the conpressors in the background. It is not loud and with the a/c on you hear nothing. As far as noise from BDA, nothing, nor from the restaurant at Den Lamen right next door. A building is great as you are only 15 seconds from the dive pier and Bari Reef. My unit is one of the closest to the water so you have a wonderful view of Klein Bonaire and the sunsets. ALL units at Sand Dollar are oceanfront and most owners take great pride in their units. We are divers also! Another nice thing about A building is that you are so close to Lovers Ice Cream, MCB Bank, Chat n Browse internet and Sand Dollar grocery.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions you may have. Have a great trip, I am sure you will like Sand Dollar.

Sadly, I think we have backburnered the trip to Bonaire until next year. Hopefully airefares will not get even worse in the meantime. But, Sand Dollar is at the top of our list of places to stay.

dwilli, I hope you make it soon, I kick myself I wait so long to go. The shore diving really is true diving freedom and the variety of stuff is second to none. I have yet to do a boat dive in three trips but my hit the windward side next trip. Airlines are adding more flights as we speak from the northeast where I am, hope they do the same for your neck of the woods. Try a site called Yapta, it tracks flights and sends you emails when they change in price. We have done well with it in the past.

Back
Top Bottom