question for the experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitepointer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Canon Powershot 1200 and i love this camera. It takes awesome pictures underwater. For me all i do is set it in underwater mode and go about taking pictures. I want to know if there is anything else i need to do to the camera to take even better pictures. I only use the built in flash (i have not added features to the camera yet). If any of you have some advice i would love if you would share it with me, thanks

I have a Canon Powershot 1200 and i love this camera. It takes awesome pictures underwater. For me all i do is set it in underwater mode and go about taking pictures. I want to know if there is anything else i need to do to the camera to take even better pictures. I only use the built in flash (i have not added features to the camera yet). If any of you have some advice i would love if you would share it with me, thanks

I'm not an expert but I'll share my experience and knowledge with you.

There is not much you can do to improve the picture quality with that camera simply because it does not have aperture or shutter priority capability. It also does not have RAW capability.

If you have custom white balance capability that would be best for your non-strobe shots. It is better than the "underwater" setting. Of course you have to calibrate the white balance at various depths from a dive slate or white piece of plastic.

For your internal strobe shots "auto" white balance is fine.

If you are using Photoshop there is an "Action" that you can download and install. It is called "underwater.atn" file and will improve your non strobe shots if you don't have "custom" white balance capability. You can download it HERE

Bottom line is there is no just getting in the water and taking GREAT photos without manual setting capability and RAW for those non-strobe shots.

The closest thing to just getting in the water and taking GREAT photos is the Canon S90 and S95. They have manual settings and RAW capability and a software that comes with the camera to process the RAW files (Digital Photo Professional). A short learning curve will yield you GREAT photos.

Hey thanks to all who commented. I want to buy a new camera since the Powershoot 1200 is very limited in what it can do underwater. i was reading all the post regarding the G11 and the S90 and i am leaning more towards the S90 because it cost a lot less and is so much smaller.

Hey thanks to all who commented. I want to buy a new camera since the Powershoot 1200 is very limited in what it can do underwater. i was reading all the post regarding the G11 and the S90 and i am leaning more towards the S90 because it cost a lot less and is so much smaller.

The S90 will do right by you as a point-n-shoot compact quality underwater camera. One advantage of it is the 2.0 lens versus the 2.8 on the G10 and G11. Comes in handy for those deeper water-darker water shots :D

I have the G10 and love it but will likely get an S90 and WP-DC35 housing as a backup camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom