Question for tropical divers: Gloves or no gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where's the smiley for :mind boggles: when you want one...

There was question about cruise ships damaging the reef and an answer was given. You respond with an overreaction. I said nothing about divers haphazardly destroying the reef because the cruise ships do more damage. You make no sense and it has nothing to do with a law about wearing gloves

You compared cruise ship reef damage vs diver reef damage multiple times in connection with your opinion that "the law is useless." Sorry if I 'overreacted' by inferring a linkage that you did not intend, but if you did not intend the cruise ship comparison to have anything to do with your opinion on laws against gloves, I'm not sure why you would make the point so many times in a thread about....laws against gloves.

My opinion remains that if a regulation prompts divers to think about reef protection saves a little reef here and there, that's a good thing even if we haven't solved the cruise ship problem or coral bleaching, or whatever.

However, yes, looking at your earliest post, I can see the desirability of gloves if your entry is on the ironshore, but otherwise, I haven't missed having my gloves in probably 150 dives in GCM so I'd just stow them when not needed for entry/exit.

Last edited:
Gloves on wrecks, mostly for the down line with fish hook hazards and sharp metal edges on the wreck itself. I also wear them if hunting lion fish. The rest of the time I see no need for them and they sure make operating a camera more difficult.

The type of diving available generally in The Cayman Islands doesn't lend itself to sharp metal edges, fish hooks etc., so there is no need for gloves. There are certain exceptions for individual cases, but overall there is no need for them. Overall those who carry a lot of unnecessary equipment do not present a very good image of their awareness of their surroundings and in the case of gloves a total lack of respect, so why would you wear unless you are one of the very few for whom exemptions are made?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom