Question for Walter re YMCA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Walter,
The shop I was working on my assistant instructor course has burned down(sadly the owner/my instructor died in that fire). I wanted to go through NAUI since they have independent instructors. Now the closests NAUI training site is easily 100 miles away.

Can you provide me with info on the YMCA Instructor program. Things like teaching independently; facility requirements etc.

Thanks

jbd

YMCA Instructors can teach as a indepent instructor. go to the YMCA Scuba home page for information on becoming an
Instructor. Contact Leaird's Underwater in Munice Ind. They run Instructor course each spring at Ball State.

jbd,

I am terribly sorry to hear of the tragic fire.

But I am glad you posted I thought you might be gone for good.

Chad

jbd,

First let me offer my condolences on the loss of your friend.

NAUI and YMCA are different, but similar. I team teach with a NAUI instructor from time to time. Both agencies allow us the flexibility so meeting the standards of both is not a chore.

Independents are welcomed by the Y. Honestly, I believe most agencies accept independents. SSI may be the only remaining agency that forbids independent instructors.

Check the Y web page at http://www.ymcascuba.org/

If you decide to go with the Y, you'll work on DM before moving on to AI. That is the reverse order from NAUI.

Let me know if I can do more to help you reach your goal.

DSSW,

WWW™

I will stress what indscuba said about checking Tom Leaird's program. This man has earned a great deal of respect from everyone in the industry.

DSSW,

WWW™

I seem to remember Phillip at Interspace in Lexington saying that he was certified by several agencies. I am not sure but he might be NAUI and be able to help you complete the training you have started.

Just a thought.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom