Question for Zeagle BC Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USVet96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As most of you know I am a US Veteran. I spent many nights in not too nice areas and learned ALOT about maturity, responsibility, and team. Anyway, I used to do a lot of waterwork while in the military until I had a situation in the Middle East years ago during an Airborne op. Long story short is that I was left with a really bad ankle / leg (tearing all the ligaments, tendons, and muscle, and have permanent nerve damage in that whole region). 3 full reconstructive surgeries later and it is still not right. Also almost lost my right hand, and did lose range of motion in half of it and now have permanent nerve damage there as well. I've had to give up some things as a result of the injuries (skiing, running, heavy weight training, riding a motorcycle, throwing a ball, golfing, etc.) and until recently diving. With having limited mobility in the right hand and right ankle / leg (both dominant) I didn't know if I would be able to handle the gear safely. I recently have gotten back into diving and things have been going ok. A few things are coming to mind as far as equipment is concerned and I need some advice and help.

I have a Sherwood BC that's weight integrated and I am not really sure about it. I am comfortable with the setup and all but the way the weights are in the BC it is very challenging for me to release the weights. I have to use my LEFT HAND to release BOTH because my right hand, because of the war injury, cannot grip down and close / pull the weight out. It's really coming into play because more and more safety and time needs to be spent working on this drill and Im not really comfortable with it.

I've noticed that the Zeagle BC's have the ripcord weight release system. I personally do not know anyone that has one, so I can only go by the pictures. It looks like the pull release on those would be more manageable but I simply don't know. Several different models have this weight release option so any opinions / advice on ANY of the models is appreciated. If you have this type of setup could you please shed some info on what you think, and your thoughts on options.

I really enjoy diving and it is very therapeutic to me. I don't want to stop diving, but I also don't want to be a danger / risk to myself or my buddy.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.

PS.... I'm also looking into Force Fins for my ankle as well but don't know if they will help either.

USVet

Last edited:
I put this in the wrong forum by accident. Sorry.

I tried to edit it to move it to the proper forum but I couldn't figure it out

:idk:

Sorry again

Hi USVet96,

I am sorry to hear of your injuries and that they are affecting your ability to dive.

Which Zeagle BC are you asking about? I have a Zeagle Scout and the rip-cords are at the back, on either side of my tank. Personally, I can't reach them and I am uninjured.

Please bear in mind that I am not a physiotherapist - I am just speaking as a diver. When it comes to dumping weights, nothing is easier than a weight belt - leave plenty of free webbing out in front. One yank with one hand and you are free. Now, getting the weight belt on may be a challenge, but I would think that with practice you could do it. I found that it was easier to slide my weight belt through the buckle if I cut the end (then melted the frayed ends) so that it was almost a wedge. Here is my attempt to draw it:

The way my belt end looked before (squared):

#####################
#####################
#####################
#####################
#####################
#####################
#####################
#####################

The way my belt end looks now (sort of a wedge):

###########
#############
###############
#################
###################
#####################
#####################
#####################

The more weight you have on the belt, the harder it will be to put on. Remember that you can mount some of your weight on your BC cam straps using trim pockets - that will be non-ditchable weight. The rest you can put on your belt so that you can ditch it. If I dive with #24 weight (cold water), I have about half of that on my belt and the rest in trim pockets.

Crush - thank you for the response. I'm considering a weight belt yes. The thing is, and try to imagine, my RIGHT dominant hand does not close. So if I am correct in my thoughts on the belt, doesn't the quick release go to the right hand side? If so, I don't know that reaching backward / across would be different then I would have to do now. I could be wrong I just don't know.

It's just been coming up more and more and I want to feel completely competent in the water with my gear that's all. I'm not unsafe now by any means; I just want to be MORE comfortable in case of a situation thats all.

For many years I stayed away from the water for these same reasons and physical limitations. Only now through tons of training, mental and physical, and years of commitment am I able to pursue my passion in diving again.

USVet

Normally the release is a right hand release. But as an instructor who prefers belts over integrated weights I'd have no problem with you switching it to a left hand one. PROVIDED that as part of your predive check you made it a point to inform your buddy of this. That way if he/she should have to release them for you they know to look for something different. If I'm diving doubles with a drysuit my harness buckle opens to the right. If I need to use a weight belt for say a single tank or light doubles I wear a belt with a left hand release and under my crotch strap.

I do like the Zeagle BC's ( I have the Express Tech) except for the rip cord release. Not because it isn't safe but because part of the predive check I teach my students is to not only look at your buddy's weight system release but to actually do it before you get in the water. If using integrated weights pull them out completely to see how much force it takes and to see if you can pull them from any angle or do they need to come out straight. Do you need to actually squeeze the locking mechanism? If using a belt pull it and make sure it will not get hung up. With the ripcord this can be an issue as it dumps everything and then you have to rethread it. I do not like that.

Hi USVet,

I am sorry if my advice isn't practical for you - I simply take many things for granted that you do not.

Tugging the loose end of a weight belt to release it should not be an issue - you can put on the belt "right-side-up" (buckle on the left, possibly slightly easier to tug with your left hand) or "up-side-down" (buckle on the right, possibly slightly easier to tug with your right hand). Now that I think about it, the hard part will be tightening the belt - with the belt "right-side-up" I hold the clasp of the buckle in my right hand and pull the belt end tight with my left hand. Your right hand does not close. Not knowing what the hell I am talking about, I would try to put the belt on "up-side-down" and to tighten I would grasp the clasp with my left hand and "somehow" try to tighten the belt with my right hand... Could your buddy help you? I suppose you might be able to melt a small hole in the loose end of the belt:

###########
#############
###############
###OOO###########
###OOO#############
#####################
#####################
#####################

To help you pull and tighten with your right hand you could then fashion an S-shaped piece of metal - one end goes through the hole while the other rests across the palm of your right hand.

Hope that helps?!

Mr. Lapenta - thanks for the response. I know Zeagle makes several different models of BC's (all with ripcord design I believe) so which specific model I do not know. I understand completely what you are saying about the predive checks with whatever weight system you will be using. I physically do that now even with the BC I have and on all dives I do, regardless of the buddy or how many times we have dove together. I like the Rip Cord style because to me it seems to make the most sense (as far as ease of use and convenience - minus the "actually removing" during predive part lol).

See if it is a simple left handed pull and I am done, that is 100% wonderful and perfect for me. I try to rely on myself FIRST as much as possible to avoid, and escape, any potential problems; THEN on a competent buddy. And if I can make it an easier process for them during a stressful time than all the better also.

Crush - don't feel bad about it bud. It was a freak accident that happened. The injuries are something that I've lerned to live with, and deal with, and am proud that it happened during war. It occurred while I was fighting for the USA and would do it all over again in a second - even knowing the horrendous outcome would be the same!

I could try the belt rig in the opposite. That might work. Usually I use the left hand as much as I can and just use my right forearm for pressure or to lean on something while the left works it out. I also don't like relying on anyone but me for everything. I dont mind a buddy for team diving of course, but if i need a buddy to dress me than im in over my head. I guess the self reliance also people from dealing with people saying I'm handicapped I guess. I really would like to show them exactly WHO is handicapped with my ONE good arm lol, but that lack in judgement wouldn't honor my military heritage too proudly so I just smile.

But we sure would understand.

Proud dad of a USAF SSgt. 97th Intel attached to Spec Ops out of Bragg. Tactical Sensor Operator. He's now somewhere in Africa within rock throwing distance of Somalia after his 3rd tour in two years in Afghanistan. Hopefully coming home any day now.

But we sure would understand.

Proud dad of a USAF SSgt. 97th Intel attached to Spec Ops out of Bragg. Tactical Sensor Operator. He's now somewhere in Africa within rock throwing distance of Somalia after his 3rd tour in two years in Afghanistan. Hopefully coming home any day now.

Small world. I was out of Ft. Bragg with a Spec Ops team. Did the triple in Afghanistan, a double in the Middle East, and 1 go in Kosovo.

Had it not been for that 1 incident in Stan I'd be relatively helthy. Well relative is a loaded word in my world but you get the idea. Still aches and pains from forced 50 milers and over 400 logged jumps but nothing I can't handle.

Tell your boy were all proud of him and appreciate his efforts; and to return home safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom