Question: Need to eat for the month of May '07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knockneed Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A buddy and I are sailing from Ft Lauderdale to Bimini (and around the Bahamas) for the month of May next year. Were going to be on his 33ft boat, which is pretty well equiped with fridge, etc. We plan on trolling/fishing while doing the Gulf Stream crossing, as well as when we get there. We'll buy groceries as needed, but are really hoping to rely on the sea for the majority of our food. Is this realistic?

It sounds as if lobster is out of season during May in the Bahamas, and though I did a good bit of shore spearing fishing and a little less blue water hunting when I lived in Hawaii years back, it's been a while. I dont have a gun anymore, but I'm planning on purchasing a new gun and a couple Hawaiian slings for the trip.

I'm sure we'll have better luck fishing topside than underneath, but I'm curious if any of you have ever pulled a trip off where you relied heavily on your catch?

Any advice appreciated!

No guns in the Bahamas. Nothing with a trigger even allowed topside or anywhere on your boat.

You can take plenty of fish on rod and reel. We spent 3 1/2 months there and did lots of fishing. Make sure you have plenty of good size metal leaders, you'll need them (you will also lose fish to other fish who have very sharp teeth!).
Take plenty of food with you because it is way too expensive in the Bahamas! You can get butter and canned bacon from New Zealand cheap, but that's about all.

Also, check the costs for a cruising permit. The price recently went up substantially. You will also need a Bahamas fishing license. Don't get caught without either one, especially if you have fish on the boat.

Also, be very cautious about eating larger reef predators in the Bahamas. They are known to carry the cigeuterra toxin. Your risk of a toxic build-up would go up substantially if you ate nothing else for a month.

Get a couple of pole spears and slings and you will be able to take lobster as well as reef fish in very shallow water less than 20'.

I cannot see why this would not be possible, the bahama bank is loaded with hog fish and grouper and alot of the hunting is fairly shallow. get a couple hawaiian slings and some spare shafts try to get the pistol grip style hawaiian slings they work very well and polespears do to. also do not forget you are allowed to spear lobster there which is awesome. I am not sure about the lobster season there but if it is allowed I would say sling some steel into the bugs.

Here are regulations:

Lobster or Crawfish: Six tails per person, at any time. Annual closed season is April 1 to July 31. Minimum size limits are 3-3/8 inch carapace length or six inches tail length. Egg-bearing female crawfish are protected.

Conch: Harvesting and possession of conch without a well formed lip is prohibited. Bag limit at any time is 10 per person.

Wahoo/Dolphin/Kingfish: Six fish per person, any combination.

Vessel Bag Limit: 20 pounds of scalefish, 10 conch and six crawfish per person may be exported from The Islands Of The Bahamas.

Stone Crabs: Closed season is June 1 to October 15. Minimum harvestable claw is four inches. Harvesting of females is prohibited.

Turtle: Illegal to import; although legal to eat in The Islands Of The Bahamas.

Spearfishing: Hawaiian sling is the only approved spearfishing device. Use of scuba gear or an air compressor to harvest fish, conch, crawfish and other marine animals is prohibited. Spearfishing is not allowed within one mile off the coast of New Providence, within one mile off the south coast of Freeport, Grand Bahama and within 200 yards of the coast of all Out Islands. Spearing or taking marine animals by any means is prohibited within national sea parks.

You will be out of lobster season in May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom