Question on Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great news, I'm glad you'll soon have a card charters will accept.

knotical:
I was about to suggest you alternatively refer them to SEI's website, but their URL seems broken – at least for me. It keeps sending me to Sinai Divers, not Scuba Educators International.

I've never had an issue with getting sent to the wrong website. Are you sure you're typing it in correctly? SEI Diving Home Page

Tom Smedley:
In today's litageous society it would be insane to certify you sight unseen.

No, but it would be crazy to not keep a copy of his qualifications in your files.

idocsteve:
Walter is not being sarcastic he's really going to certify the guy sight unseen based on his paperwork.

Anyone who knows anything about the US Navy Dive School will understand why that's not a problem. I would not do it for a civilian trained diver at any level.

Every instructor should take a tour of the US Navy Dive School and watch part of their training. Most of us would become quickly aware that these divers are better than we (instructors) are and stop giving them flack about diving from charter boats that take out incompetent divers every day.

I was happy to help Mark with this issue. I will be keeping all his paperwork on file and am also requiring that if he should ever get to my neck of the woods that he look me up and give me the priviledge of shaking his hand and doing a couple dives with me. As the father of a US service member it is the least we/I can do for someone who is probably more qualified to dive than some instructors out there.

Last edited:
I've never had an issue with getting sent to the wrong website. Are you sure you're typing it in correctly? SEI Diving Home Page
Although I typed it a few times, I mostly clicked on the link in your signature. It's working again now, which is good news. Just one of those cyber mysteries.

And as an aside if anyone ever has an issue with an operator questioning the validity of an SEI cert my number is 724-255-3765, PM me here, or shoot me an email through Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services I will be happy to speak with the op, email them whatever they need to see as regards to the agency, or do my best to find you another op in the area that will accept your card. Although at this point I don;t think it will be an issue with the email campaign I ran to ops and resorts around the world last year. However I know I did not get every one. So if you like, send me a contact and I will get in touch with them, wherever they may be, to see that your trip is not messed up by anyone's lack of information as to who SEI Diving is and what we do.

Last edited:
To all who responded to my question, a Sincere Thank You!
I was able to arranged certification through SEI. To alleviate some fears out there, I mailed copies of all Certs; Current USN Dive Physical; Last 10 dives and last 20 dives (USN and Recreational); along with a break down of total dives in categories (i.e deep, limted viz, cold, surge, boat, shore, SCUBA and MK16); where those dives where; and arranged to have copies of all USN Dives (what we call a "smooth log") available if needed.
I also should have explained that I am still diving for the Navy, and am still within our qualifications.
Thank you again for your help and assistence.

Thank you and your family for your service to our great country.

Jim,
If I ever get to your neck of the woods, rest assured I will be contacting you. I also owe Walter the same. Thank you again for your assistence in this matter, and taking the time to answer the slew of questions I put out.

Mark

Nice to see this resolved, and that a couple of very solid people stepped forward to help.

I'm glad you got it straightened out. I'm still amazed that a boat wouldn't recognize a Navy diver.

Well here goes;
It seems I am running into issues when booking Charter dives, either I get questioned on my Certification; or I get told I am not allowed on the boat at all.
I was trained by the Navy (and still dive with them) where I was certified on Scuba. Later, I was trained and certified on the Mk16 (a mixed gas rebreather). I have the standard "C" card given to you when you graduate from Panama City, and it lists that I am Mixed Gas qualified. I have over 150 dives, in all types of conditions and depths (up to 160' at 5,000 feet). Now I am not someone who is stating my training is better than anyone elses, (snip).

1. You made it through Navy dive school. You've earned the right to say your training is better than ours.

nor do I claim to be the world's best diver

2. You may not be the worlds best diver but I'm sure you're more than qualified to dive anything that most of us have done.

The issue I have is that some places will not accept a USN Dive card. I was actually told that since I was not a PADI certifed diver, I would not be allowed to go on a trip when I was on vacation. ....

3. That dive store operator has a set bigger than cannon balls, brain is down to bb size tho. Telling you that Navy diver isn't good enough. Cannon balls to bb's. :pirate2:

4. Thanks for your service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom