Question on changing Sea Cure from old to new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mistressmotorsports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am replacing my old Sea Air Tri-Metal (IDI) reg with a Tusa RS530. My old Sea Cure is supposed to work on both regs. I noticed it is loose on the new Tusa Reg, although it stays on. I put a reasonably tight zip tie on the end, but, although the mouthpiece stays on, it seems to leak a good deal of air from between the mouthpiece and the reg when inhaling. I am assuming water would be inhaled if I were to dive this way. My question is if I heat the mouthpiece at the attachment end, will it shrink at all and fit the new reg, or am I better off just getting a new Sea Cure?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

When I used SeaCures, I fitted them in two steps. I found they molded better to regs if I first heated the portion that mates with the second stage. I used boiling water and cinched then on with a plastic tie. Be careful to not over-tighten the tie, or it will go too far into the mouthpiece rim. After securing (pun intended) the SeaCure on the second stage, I then formed it to my bite in the usual manner.

BUT, I no longer use SeaCures. I've found the Trident R530 mouthpiece (two pages after the SeaCures in the following: http://www.tridentdive.com/mouthpieces.pdf - top of page 209) works just as well at about one-fourth to one-third the cost and has softer material to mate with the reg. I like it better than the SeaCure for another reason – I don't have to trim the bite tab as I've had to do on the SeaCure to reduce the gag reflex.

It's been several years since I've bought a SeaCure, so I can't be certain if how I've described them is still accurate.

It won't shrink, but it should get soft enough so that you can tighten the zip tie better and stop the leak. I've had the same exact situation moving a sea cure from one reg to another. Those things are not cheap, I understand why you wouldn't want to buy a new one. You have to make sure that the two regs take the same type. Also, the older sea cures had a hard plastic yellow ring which might make fitting it on a slightly different size flange difficult. If yours is like that, you might as well get a new one.

I don't have the yellow ring, and the chart says that the mouthpiece is supposed to fit both regs, so I think I will try the heating/cinching thing. If it doesn't work, then I will look into the other options. Thanks!

It won't shrink, but it should get soft enough so that you can tighten the zip tie better and stop the leak. I've had the same exact situation moving a sea cure from one reg to another.

This worked well. I tightened the zip tie gently at first, then heated the mouthpiece again and tightened it for a final fit. Didn't want to get too aggressive in one shot and risk damage. Seals perfectly, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom