Question on Housing for Lumix Zs7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edgpr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, after doing some research on buying a new camera, i finally decided to go for the lumix zs7. Seems to be a pretty good option in the price range. I've had digital cameras before, but i have never shot underwater, so this will be my first try. . My indecision comes on the housing for the camera. Should i get the Panasonic housing or Ikelite. One is about twice as much as the other. I've never bought one before, so i have no idea what to look for? What are the advantages of one over the other? What have you guys experinced and what do you recommend? Thank you.

I can't find that much out about Panasonic's housing either. I was wondering the same thing but eventually decided to get a GF1 housing instead.

Where did you get it at?

Actually, I was going to get one, then decided I didn't snorkel enough to justify one, so I picked up a used (and well cared for) Nikonos V instead.

Optical Ocean Sales has the housing, and if I go that route, that's who I'd buy it from. (Not yet a customer, just he's here and he was nice enough to answer a question via e-mail.)

I don't have either camera or housing, but I too was impressed by the camera features. The earlier ZS3 is a great camera, so I would expect this to carry on. The only caveat, turn off GPS to extend battery life. The HD video and extra wide angle lens look to be great features.

The Panasonic housing is hard to find and expensive, but I have not heard anything much about it. The only suppliers I know of are in Japan and Malaysia. As with any housing, keep the O-rings clean and replace per the maker's recommendation. It's a good idea to buy a spare O-ring now, since it may be hard to get later. It's not going to be up to the durability of Ikelite's but these products only have a 1-2 year life anyway before obsolescence.

The Ikelite housing will be sturdier, and heavier. It's almost the same price as the Panasonic, so I would certainly consider it strongly if you don't mind the extra weight and bulk. If you can, handle one in an underwater camera store. It is possible to add a macro wet lens and a wide angle air dome to this housing if you want. The Ikelite housing lens port does block the internal flash, unlike the Panasonic housing's port. The cheaper Ikelite strobes are not much good for anything but macro, and since you optically couple to this camera anyway, you might want to look at Inon Z240 as a good match if you decide to spend the money for a strobe.

Those are my impressions. Let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

I'm using the original Panasonic housing for the ZS7/TZ10 and i'm more then happy with it.

I have the ZS3 with the pany housing. I have no complaints. I had to be patient to get it. I found an online seller with a good price and purchased it backorder. It took a few months to come in... but I got a great price. I then bought the handle and tray from Ocean Optical.

Good luck......

hi

I got the TZ10 housing from fotosense ltd in the UK. they have a website and I didn't have to wait for it. I'll just have to wait before I go diving! One thing, I should have ordred extra silica gel since there are only about 5 or 6 pouches given and instructions recommend it's changed every time you use the camera! I'm hoping to use my camera on every dive for a 2 week holiday. cheers

I can get the 10Bar TZ7 housing (or have one drop shipped). There hasn't been a huge demand, I had one sitting here for a month or so. Cost is $489.95. He has some others besides the LX5 & GF-1, GH-1 as well.

I stock the Ike housing it is $379.95.

Basically I'll stock whatever is in demand. I have trays, arms and lighting packages for about anything.

Jack

Any update on the best housing for the money for the ZS7?
I really like the camera and the panasonic housing looks nice for the money.
Any input would be appreciated,
Thanx

Back
Top Bottom