Question on living in Hawaii (Oahu)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I may have the chance to get a job in Hawaii. From what I've researched the cost of living is up there compared to South Carolina.

Has anyone moved from the states to Hawaii recently? Is the cost of living as inflated as it seems?

Personally and professionally it makes since to move there. My only hesitation now is the financial angle. Any comments would be great.

Thanks

Mark

Contrary to popular belief, Hawaii is considered part of the "states" (the 50th to be exact). Also it would be a good idea not to call people who live in Hawaii 'natives'. That would probably make a couple of people here upset.

As far as cost of living here, everything is expensive. It was a sticker shock for me when I moved from Charleston a couple (6) years ago. Highest gas prices in the nation, $650K median home price (I think its higher, I stopped looking a couple of months ago).

Luckily the gov't adjusts my pay to live here, so that helps.

Diito on the cost. We aren't trying to scare you, but its a bit expensive not just on the gas either. This is an island so everything is harder to get and its a tourist island so everything is more expensive on principle alone. I would say do alot of homeowork before you make a choice.

BUT...no coats, no pressure to dress up, no heating, no AC mostly....so
If you don't have a family and need to have the two car garage and all...very do-able.
Many don't have the long commutes, so that helps on the gas. If you are serious, you
could do a scouting mission.

don't forget the size of the house is extremly small for the price, usually no land or a very small front yard/back yard. Depending on where you live you want AC and electricity is not that cheap either. I would come for a long visit (more than 2 weeks) and check it all out before I made any decisions. Traffic tends to be a nightmare when it is rush hour or if it is raining. You can sit in traffic for a while if there is an accident since they usually shut down all but one lane (5 lanes down to 1 lane). The nice thing is is that it is cheap to fly interisland so you can visit them all for a decent price ($92 roundtrip to Kona).
8 1/2 months left here on the island and looking forward to getting back to the mainland. I enjoy driving and ending up somewhere other than a circle. I will only miss the friends and diving.

Hey

I to am looking to move to Hawaii(Maui), I just got back from my research trip to see if it was wise to make the move. And all signs are pointing to yes. The atmosphere and the overal friendly attitude was amazing, seriously reminded of me being back home on the east coast of canada.

i didn;t find the cost of living all that high apartments seem to be going for around the same amount as in Phoenix, and the food was a bit higher priced, but depending on what you buy for groceries some of it is cheaper. the gas is alot higher, but nothaving to commute 30-40miles each way to work is a hell of a lot nicer then spending 1-2hours stuck in traffic , although at around 2:30 the planes(tourists) start landing in Maui, and traffic out to Lahaina gets pretty bogged down until about 6.

The job opportunities in my field(civil engineering) are endless, and alot of the companies are paying big bucks for mainlanders to go over due to lack of people wanting to relocate, you just have to do the research before going to make sure they are what you want,as most of them are contractors(sigh) not that there is anything wrong with that just been there and done that for years and it is not for me. MAke sure you do the research and show them teh stats on average salaries for your job, they're trying to get people hooked on the island life, without the people realizing that the cost of living is so much higher then what they are use to. Well that is what I found with alot of them.

Anyways best of luck with your relocation, I hope mine goes smoothly and I get everything I want from the company and from island living.

And to anyone living in Maui, when I arrive be it in a few weeks or months, if at all possible I would like to hook up with a few of you to go do some diving if that would be at all possible.

Steve

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think island living will be just fine for me. Can't wait to head out there next weekend.

Fishb0y: By what precentage of your salary in Charleston did they have to be bump up to compensate for the cost of living difference? I've checked a few websites that calculate the difference but none of them where consitent. One even said I would have to make $125000 to cover the difference :11:

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom