Question on Mako compressors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlene Barker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking at purchasing a Mako compressor. I was wondering if there is other stores out there with the Bam 07 or 08 compressor. What kind of problems have you had if any? Durability?Do they stand behind their product after warranty? I not sure what else to ask. I have a 3year old IR unit that is not working and no one seems to be able to fix so I don't want to make the same mistake twice. My IR unit has only 1000 hours on it and cost twice as much as a Mako. IR is not standing behind their product. If any one has any feed back I would sure appreciate it,
Thanks Charlene

Hi, Charlene. I don't have any BAM's, I have a AC-06. Actually, I have 3 plus 2 spare blocks. The 06 block has been discontinued in favor of the 07. If you are looking at a BAM-07, it is the identical unit except for the pulley and motor size, there is no difference in the block. I have had awesome service life from my Makos and highly recommend them to anyone who asks. Repair parts are a little higher than Bauers for the same comparable parts, but I find that the Makos need servicing at longer intervals. I make nitrox with mine and religiously follow the service schedule even if the machine is running fine. That's what keeps it running fine. With stock filtration I make Oxygen compatible air without need of a hyperfilter, I've never failed an air or nitrox quality test, and the machines I have run great. Mako was recently bought up by Gardner Denver which I would expect to be around for a while. As far as I know, Aggressor liveaboard fleet are all using Makos, and they put more hours on theirs per year than most anyone. They've used them for years.

Thank you. I just placed an order for a Mako BAM-08. I seem to kill compressors . I have owned 5 Bauer compressors in the past and they performed alright but I would like something better. So I bought an IR. What was I thinking??? I have heard nothing but awesome things about Mako compressors. Thank you for reinforcing my decision.

Charlene Barker

Mako doesn't have there own brand of compressors they use all different manufactures for the Mako brand. I have found the best compressors are Bauer. I have 2 Bauer compressors a K-14-85 that puts out 8 CFM and has been pumping for over 20 years. second is my portable Capitono 5 CFM with a Honda gas engine 10 years old 0 failures Just change the oil regularly and they will run forever.

Are you still looking for a BAM 7 Mako? We have one if you are still interested. Pls call me at 613-723-7222 ask for Robin or 613-859-3055

Wookie,

I'm back, run for cover!

MAKO AC-06 control circuit fuse on the transformer opened, it was a 2A fuse. The other fuse on the transformer primery was a 3A while the fuse on the secondary was a 20A which sounds way too large. Any reference to the correct size fuses? This is an older unit using relays powered by 12vac for control.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi, Charlene. I don't have any BAM's, I have a AC-06. Actually, I have 3 plus 2 spare blocks. The 06 block has been discontinued in favor of the 07. If you are looking at a BAM-07, it is the identical unit except for the pulley and motor size, there is no difference in the block. I have had awesome service life from my Makos and highly recommend them to anyone who asks. Repair parts are a little higher than Bauers for the same comparable parts, but I find that the Makos need servicing at longer intervals. I make nitrox with mine and religiously follow the service schedule even if the machine is running fine. That's what keeps it running fine. With stock filtration I make Oxygen compatible air without need of a hyperfilter, I've never failed an air or nitrox quality test, and the machines I have run great. Mako was recently bought up by Gardner Denver which I would expect to be around for a while. As far as I know, Aggressor liveaboard fleet are all using Makos, and they put more hours on theirs per year than most anyone. They've used them for years.

Wookie,

I'm back, run for cover!

MAKO AC-06 control circuit fuse on the transformer opened, it was a 2A fuse. The other fuse on the transformer primery was a 3A while the fuse on the secondary was a 20A which sounds way too large. Any reference to the correct size fuses? This is an older unit using relays powered by 12vac for control.

Thanks,

Larry

I think you'll find that you have a 12VDC control circuit. If it is truly 12VAC, you've blown the bridge rectifier just downstream of the transformer. I've done that, they aren't too hard to find. Those fuses should be 1 amp on each leg of the primary, and 1 or 2 amp (depending on whether you have a CO analyzer or not) on the secondary. Which fuse did you blow?

One of the primery fuses opened. They were all the wrong size. I have on order a couple 1A fuses for the primery and a 2A for the 110v secondary. I'll add a 2A fuse to the bridge output as well, using an automotive fuse since it is only 12VDC. Those CC series fuses for the control circuits are pricey! $6 to $20 depending on the source (dual element special fuses). Mako is now working with a work around untill the new fuses arrive (don't ask!).

Larry

I had a Mako for 28 yrs. It worked great!

Back
Top Bottom