Question on Mares Vertical Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you actually get those green 100% regs in the us?

Most of the availability I see for this is outside of the US. Maybe because they are planning on discontinuing it anyways like Bryan said. I tried a few Online Stores in the US and did not get any luck with it. But readily available on some UK shops like Mike's Dive Supply.

I know the Mares rep here, I'm interested too in the 100% version. do you want me to see if I can arrange a demo?
Keep us updated on how it goes. Any feedback is welcome :) Cheers

I know the Mares rep here, I'm interested too in the 100% version. do you want me to see if I can arrange a demo?
That would be great.

" can I use it after that for normal air."
As Rainpilot said. You cannot presume that normal air is "oxygen safe". The shops have no reason to keep their "normal" equipment clean to oxygen standards. So either you roll the dice, or you do a full oxygen cleaning on your gear before you put it into "oxygen" service again.
Kinda worrisome that you would even ask, that indicates you may not fully understand the issues behind oxygen safety.

" can I use it after that for normal air."
As Rainpilot said. You cannot presume that normal air is "oxygen safe". The shops have no reason to keep their "normal" equipment clean to oxygen standards. So either you roll the dice, or you do a full oxygen cleaning on your gear before you put it into "oxygen" service again.
Kinda worrisome that you would even ask, that indicates you may not fully understand the issues behind oxygen safety.

My question was incomplete which I realized later. My question was intended more towards the fact whether the 100% Oxygen Compatible Mares R2S VR Regulator was compatible with Air "after cleaning/servicing" I realize how it can seem worrisome. My intention is to use it for Stage/Deco with higher than 40% Oxygen and if thereafter I need to use the same regulator for regular air I will need to get it cleaned/serviced.

Nonetheless, not to worry I take safety very seriously and all precautions whenever diving with any mix.

Thanks for your feedback :)

No cleaning before air use. Only before going back to rich mixes IF the air was not clean air.

The SCUBA industry seems to make a great mystery out of gas mixtures. Which is not surprising. I remember when a small cabal of dive shops coined the sexy misnomer "NITROX" to make it seem like they were selling something magical and special...instead of a gas mixture that any welding [sic] shop could put together.

And it still seems that way, a bigger cabal and bigger mysteries, although calling it "EAN" instead of "NITROX" is arguably no improvement. "OEA" or oxygen-enriched-air, just doesn't have that sexy sell. And whether 40% is a magic number, or whether *everything* should just be "oxygen clean", well, if you're breathing it, air should be free of petrochemicals anyway, perhaps?

Yeah, there's nothing in the magic "high oxygen" mixes that needs to be cleaned out before you use that same gear for "air". Although that's not a bad idea...maybe the shops need to start charging customers for "retrofit cleaning" to put nitrox gear into plain service, the same way they want to charge for oxygen cleaning before they upgrade already. A great new profit opportunity! Mr. Barnum would have seized on that years ago!

The SCUBA industry seems to make a great mystery out of gas mixtures. Which is not surprising. I remember when a small cabal of dive shops coined the sexy misnomer "NITROX" to make it seem like they were selling something magical and special...instead of a gas mixture that any welding [sic] shop could put together.

And it still seems that way, a bigger cabal and bigger mysteries, although calling it "EAN" instead of "NITROX" is arguably no improvement. "OEA" or oxygen-enriched-air, just doesn't have that sexy sell. And whether 40% is a magic number, or whether *everything* should just be "oxygen clean", well, if you're breathing it, air should be free of petrochemicals anyway, perhaps?

Yeah, there's nothing in the magic "high oxygen" mixes that needs to be cleaned out before you use that same gear for "air". Although that's not a bad idea...maybe the shops need to start charging customers for "retrofit cleaning" to put nitrox gear into plain service, the same way they want to charge for oxygen cleaning before they upgrade already. A great new profit opportunity! Mr. Barnum would have seized on that years ago!

lol

Back
Top Bottom