Question on Mares Vertical Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ankush Mittal

Addicted to Diving!
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used either the Mares XR R2S or Mares Loop 15X Regulator?

I am trying to understand the difference as I am looking for a decent stage regulator for the deco bottle.

I am considering the Mares XR R2S.

Can this be used for normal Air if required after servicing?

Any reviews or feedback would be welcome. Even on the Vertical hose routing if you have used it and have 2 cents to offer.

I have been watching these with interest as well for bailout and deco tanks.

What do you mean by “use for normal air after servicing”?

All regs can be used for normal air. Some can be used for high oxygen blends as well. If you put “dirty” air through an oxygen reg then it should be cleaned professionally before using high oxygen blends again.

The Mares Loop is a unique system, and great for those who want to run their primary under their arm instead of over the shoulder (using standard length hoses - 36 inch for primary). I currently use it as a pony regulator system for both recreational diving (slung on my left side) and for a pony (backmount) for Ice Diving and Public Safety Diving.

I have been watching these with interest as well for bailout and deco tanks.

What do you mean by “use for normal air after servicing”?

All regs can be used for normal air. Some can be used for high oxygen blends as well. If you put “dirty” air through an oxygen reg then it should be cleaned professionally before using high oxygen blends again.

On hindsight I realize that my question may be incomplete. I meant that if I use the Mares R2S Green Regulator which is made for higher blends of Nitrox, then can I use it after that for normal air. But I am going to make an assumption I can, as long as the reg is serviced properly if the Oxygen concentration used was higher than 40%

I am going to be doing a sidemount course in February, and some tech courses so might buy one of these for the stage bottles.

The Mares Loop is a unique system, and great for those who want to run their primary under their arm instead of over the shoulder (using standard length hoses - 36 inch for primary). I currently use it as a pony regulator system for both recreational diving (slung on my left side) and for a pony (backmount) for Ice Diving and Public Safety Diving.

Bryan, I forgot I should have just sent you a message instead of making a thread lol.

Any feedback on the core difference between the Loop and the R2S? There is a 30% price difference from where I can purchase it in the UK hence I need to ensure its worth it to pay extra for the Loop.

Also, I am going to assume the Loop regular version and Octo version are exactly the same?

The Mares website says that the green R2S is made for 100% Oxygen and the regular black one is for Air, my question I was trying to ask earlier was that if I buy the green R2S can I use it with Air after servicing? Also, on that note if I do buy the Loop can it be used with 100% Air?

Sorry for any confusion.

Bryan, I forgot I should have just sent you a message instead of making a thread lol.

Any feedback on the core difference between the Loop and the R2S? There is a 30% price difference from where I can purchase it in the UK hence I need to ensure its worth it to pay extra for the Loop.

Also, I am going to assume the Loop regular version and Octo version are exactly the same?

The Mares website says that the green R2S is made for 100% Oxygen and the regular black one is for Air, my question I was trying to ask earlier was that if I buy the green R2S can I use it with Air after servicing? Also, on that note if I do buy the Loop can it be used with 100% Air?

Sorry for any confusion.

The biggest difference between the Loop 15X and the XR R2S, is the Loop 15 X is a Balanced Diaphragm and the XR R2S is an Unbalanced Piston Regulator. The Loop 15X breathes 10 times easier than the XR R2S, however, the XR R2S is easier to service. If you are wanting a regulator that will serve you in multiple capacities, such as a pony regulator, sidemount regulator, stage regulator, and even as a singles back mount regulator, I would choose the Loop 15X. On the other hand, the XR R2S is a good choice if you need a regulator for a very specific purpose, such as an O2 specific regulator only. I currently use the Loop 15X for a Single Sidemount setup, and it doubles as a pony system as well. My main dual tank Sidemount system, I am using the Mares XR 25X DR system. I just checked my dealer log in and it would appear that the XR R2S is going to be discontinued or updated, because it is not even listed anymore as part of the XR line. With that being said, if you are buying it for a specific purpose and don't care about the breathe ability, then I would go with the XR R2S. Especially if you can get it at a good price. Current MSRP on the XR R2S is $275.00. Hope this answers your questions.

Note: The Second stage between the XR R2S and the Loop 15X is idenitcal, the first stage is the only difference.

I will be shooting a video this week explaining all the differences of the regulators, in the entire Mares line. Stay tuned to our YouTube channel.

Thanks a ton Bryan that helps a lot. Will probably wait for sometime and see if Mares replaces the R2S with a newer version in the XR range, if not then will probably get the Loop 15X as I would like to have something my family can use when all of us are recreational diving.

Edit: My primary use would be as a deco stage bottle, but like you said the 15X seems like the best all-around option.

You do not need to service an O2 clean reg in order to use it with air. You MAY however have to clean it to go back to O2 depending on how clean the air source used to fill the tanks.

You do not need to service an O2 clean reg in order to use it with air. You MAY however have to clean it to go back to O2 depending on how clean the air source used to fill the tanks.

Thanks, that helps! Will probably get the Loop and clean it before tech dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom