Question on Memory Cards for Canon 5D EOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedah

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anybody know if it is true that the 5D will only support memory cards up to 8 GBs in capacity?

I am looking to buy a memory card for my camera. The Sandisk website and tech support say that this Canon model will only take memory cards up to 8 GB in size. Canon says that their camera "will work with memory cards > 2GB," but does not specify an upper limit.

Any info on this??

THANKS!

J.

Going from 2GB to 4GB required the camera to support a different file structure for storage. The old way (FAT16) supported storage up to 2GB. Newer file systems can go a lot higher. While not guaranteed, it's not likely your camera will be limited to 8GB. Canon is most likely correct.

Thanks guys!

I went ahead and bought two 8 GB cards to be sure, since the speed of writing the files seems to drop with increasing memory card size.

J.

jedah:
Hi all,

Does anybody know if it is true that the 5D will only support memory cards up to 8 GBs in capacity?

I am looking to buy a memory card for my camera. The Sandisk website and tech support say that this Canon model will only take memory cards up to 8 GB in size. Canon says that their camera "will work with memory cards > 2GB," but does not specify an upper limit.

Any info on this??

THANKS!

J.
Some food for thought… I travel with four 4GB 133x Lexar Professional cards for my 30D. My thoughts are more along the lines that it is safer to split the shoot/trip up on multiple cards just in case a card fails.

Yes I download when I have my PC with me everyday but I just took my first trip without a PC as we were traveling very light. In any case, I would not want to put a whole trip or for that matter more than a days worth of images on a single card.

Blue Moon

Back
Top Bottom