Question on Olympus C5050 and batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plr0

Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from Key Largo - my first trip with my own camera. I have the Olympus C-5050 in the Olympus housing. My question is how long should the batteries last? I'm using 2000 mAh NiMH batteries. They are lasting for one one dive -- and I wasn't taking that many shots. I probably only took 30 shots on a dive.

What should I expect? I wasn't turning off the LCD display between shots. Should I?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peggy

P.S - Attached is my best picture from the trip -- a yellow headed jawfish.

I have a C-4040. Using 2000 NiMh batteries, mine usually last through a second dive and anywhere from 60-80 photos. The autofocus is set to ON, Monitor is ON however I manually turn it off if there's going to be several minutes between shots. Although I admit that isn't often!

If these are new batteries, remember theu need to be cycled 4-5 times before they hold a full charge. What you are describing sounds like mine did as new batteries. If these are older batteries, you might try to recondition them...if your charger does that. I have a MAHA 204F Smart Charger and it reconditions easily.

Well, I'm using the MAHA Powerex 2200 NiMH batteries. I got 'em from Thomas Distributing.

These suckers have lasted me on over hour-long dives before and they still had enough juice in them for surface interval shooting. I maybe shot 150-200 shots on dives. On my recent trip to Looe Key, each dive was around 45 min. (3 dives on the trip) and I didn't have to change the batteries once in between dives.

I'm pretty sure the NiMH batteries are the ones that are more "resistant" to the memory problem.

The autofocus is a battery-sucker too. Maybe try to exchange or return the batteries? Or (depending on your charger) use the "dump" button to drain the battery before charging it (if you already didn't do that). I'd definately have to say that those batteries are lasting not nearly as long as they're supposed to. :D

Nice macro shot, though.

After reading Dr. Jay's post, I should add that my batteries had plenty of juice left after that second dive. But since I needed to open my housing to change memory cards anyway, I go ahead and change batteries at the same time. I have puched it and gotten halfway through a 4th 50min dive on well conditioned, fully charged batteries. I just don't want to see that flashing battery sign in the middle of a dive when it was easy to change them!

I also get my batteries from Thomas Distributing. I just got Beast and I both 2 sets of 2200NiMH batteries as well as a second Smart Charger.

Dee once bubbled...
I also get my batteries from Thomas Distributing. I just got Beast and I both 2 sets of 2200NiMH batteries as well as a second Smart Charger.
I looooove my PowerEx 2200's....

They keep going and going and going and going and....

bunny-anim.gif

plr0, good quality batteries should easily last 2 x 1hr dives with the monitor on throughout, with plenty of juice left over. The sleep mode will also kick in if you don't use it for a while. I can get 2 dives with 2000mAh and the Olympus 1700mAh batteries as well.
New NiMH batteries may take several charges/discharges before they reach max capacity. So use (discharge) and charge the batteries several times on land before taking them uw.
Full-time AF and a Microdrive may increase power consumption as well.

Dee once bubbled...
If these are new batteries, remember theu need to be cycled 4-5 times before they hold a full charge. What you are describing sounds like mine did as new batteries.

The batteries are new -- only been charged twice before the trip. And it's good to know it won't be a continuing problem. I have the MAHA 401 charger with 2 sets of 2000 mAh batteries and just purchased 2 sets of 2300 mAh batteries -- all from Thomas Distributing.

So I'll get busy cycling the batteries before the next dive trip.

Thanks,

Peggy

PS -- Dee, I really like the DeeRags I have.:)

plr0 once bubbled...

The batteries are new -- only been charged twice before the trip. And it's good to know it won't be a continuing problem. I have the MAHA 401 charger with 2 sets of 2000 mAh batteries and just purchased 2 sets of 2300 mAh batteries -- all from Thomas Distributing.

So I'll get busy cycling the batteries before the next dive trip.

Thanks,

Peggy

PS -- Dee, I really like the DeeRags I have.:)

2300 mAh batteries??? I just got some 2200's from Thomas Distributing and thought those were the most recent! I remember when 1500's were the bee's knee's! :D I also bought another charger and almost got the 401 but I like the option to condition my batteries more than the slow trickle charge...IIRC.

Glad you're enjoying your rags! :thumb:

Dee once bubbled...

2300 mAh batteries???

I notice the Lenmar 2300 mAh when I was ordering some AAA batteries -- so thought I would give them a try. Now that I know the batteries need to be conditioned -- I may have to pick up a different charger.

Peggy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom