Question re 200G thinsulate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artw

Reaction score
Did some searches here and didn't really find an answer to my Q. I have been looking around at various types of 200G thinsulate suits (bare ct200, diving concepts TPS, DUI). Are these all the same? or similar? What should I be looking for? I was thinking about buying the Weezle Extreme but I would like to look at alternate options. the DUI 400G is a bit out of my price range.

Art
Ottawa

Not all undies are created equal, and one 200gm vs another 200gm may not be nearly as warm.
There are a few different grades of Thinsulate, the favored being the "type B" or boot grade, it resists compression much better than the regular garment variety.
The lining can also make a big difference. A 400gm Viking will cook you in the same temp waters a 400gm DUI will be comfy in.
Thinsulate keeps about 80% of its insulative properties when wet, another thing to consider.
The Weezle aren't Thinsulate, btw.

I've got the Weezle Extreme+ and compact.
They now live in the closet and I use the Bare CT200.

My problem with the Weezle is that, in order to maintain enough loft to be comfortably warm, I had to put too much air in the suit, resulting in a bubble that caused problems migrating to my feet.

With the Bare, I dive with a comfortable level of squeeze and stay warm.

The material in the Weezle makes an AWESOME sleeping bag, but I really don't care for it under my TLS.

I was looking for an alternate type of undergarment.
The Northern Diver Flectalon is an interesting material, very open & fiberous with a fuzzy poly lining, resists compression better than the cozy Weezle stuff.
Moderately priced if you can find a dealer who discounts. (ND doesn't price fix)
Has stretch panels in arm/shoulder for good mobility, and a mesh at the wrist if you want to pull it under your cuff if wearing attached gloves.

Type-B thinsulate (as in DUI's 400G and 200G) is the best material, which is why it costs so much. See Bob3s's post for why. You can get many other undergarments for less, but they're not the same.

Hi guys

I am also considering to buy a new under garment and torn between some options... I dive mainly in S. Cali and needs to have something better than fleece jacket and pants.

I am curious what you guys think of buying equipment on the internet. I mainly search on the net (materials and price range etc) and buy at the shop. Do you guys have any good/bad experience buying on the net??

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom