Question re: Tek Set up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Question is- How much lift do I need?
I owne 2 Zeagle rangers (1 is my wife's who doesn't dive much) and I can get into the MED w/ A dry suit on. I want to know if the 44lbds lifts will be sufficient for an initial double 80's set up and a 30 stage bottle or so.

My plan would be to rig the large bcd with a back plate and then buy an OMS wing set when there was more $$ to kick around. but need to know when the configuration is maxed out- I carry 36lbs in the vest w/ a heavy dry suit with extreme weighted thermals and the Zegal ranger carrying an 80....

Could I substatute the Zegal wing set up initially? So initially buy manafolds and a back plate - use that rig till I need to carry more weight etc...at that point switch out the wings and buy either OMS or DiveRight w/ more lift?

Ideas thoughts?

Vin

?? Lost track of the question in there.

Double 80s and 30 stage are barely negative to start and end up positive, so very little lift is needed. How much weight you wear is irrelevant as long as it is only as much as you need. Your lift compensates for how negative you are, not for how much you or your gear weigh.

Why mix the brands? Zeagle makes other wings for their BC. To truly go tech you'll be switching to a backplate & wing for diving doubles anyway, and then you can select the brand of wing you prefer since any wing will fit a backplate.

theskull

Sounds to me like you will have more than enough bouyancy to start with. I dive a stainless steel backplate with steel 108s and aluminum deco bottles using a diverite duel rec wing. Duel because all of our diving here is wet, usually in shorts and tee shirt or a shorty on deeper longer duration dives where the helium sucks away the body heat. Since everything is aluminum you need to be more concerned with being negative enough on near empty tanks to hold a deco stop.

Hello,
If you're interested, I'll throw my 2 cents in there as well. Unfortnately (maybe) I know of no other way than to be brutally direct when discussing such important matters as scuba. Your question tells me that you need to pursue more training and education before strapping on a set of doubles. When you do, you'll learn (hopefully) about diving a "balanced" rig. what this means is that you will select everything from your backplate (please dont "adapt" your "rig" to double tanks) to your tanks to suit your overall bouyancy needs. You shouldn't need a ton of bouyancy unless you're diving over-weighted. For dry suit diving, typically steel tanks (on your back) are preferred for their negative bouyancy characteristics. This results in less weight on your belt. A 55 lb wing is completely sufficient. Dont get tricked into one of OMS "bungie" 100lb'ers. (I have one I'll sell for cheep!)Aluminum cylinders are used for "deco" bottles due to their tendancy to float when empty. With a stainless backplate (6 lbs)double steel 100's, and a single alum 80 I tend to need only 4 lbs additional weight. Before you need doubles you should have the skills necessary to do basic things like maintain your bouyancy without kicking or sculling hands, air shares mid water without varying your depth, and effective propulsion techniques like the frog kick, back-up kick, and helicopter spin. With doubles you'll experience more mass / inertia so make sure your gear is streamlined as well. (no pockets or vest-style BCD's) lastly, if you're not practicing air drills with a 7 foot hose with a buddy, you've overlooked you first defense for air needs. I applaud your search for knowledge, one fantastic source will be found at: www.gue.com
good luck!

Right- so I realize that the training is the next step.... But the issue is- or the basis for the question was- I am trying to forcast costs. I have these 2 Zegal setups - One I'll keep for sport diving the other I am trying to establish if its poss to rig for teck..... Will a Zeagal ranger work?

divealaska:
Hello,
If you're interested, I'll throw my 2 cents in there as well. Unfortnately (maybe) I know of no other way than to be brutally direct when discussing such important matters as scuba. Your question tells me that you need to pursue more training and education before strapping on a set of doubles. When you do, you'll learn (hopefully) about diving a "balanced" rig. what this means is that you will select everything from your backplate (please dont "adapt" your "rig" to double tanks) to your tanks to suit your overall bouyancy needs. You shouldn't need a ton of bouyancy unless you're diving over-weighted. For dry suit diving, typically steel tanks (on your back) are preferred for their negative bouyancy characteristics. This results in less weight on your belt. A 55 lb wing is completely sufficient. Dont get tricked into one of OMS "bungie" 100lb'ers. (I have one I'll sell for cheep!)Aluminum cylinders are used for "deco" bottles due to their tendancy to float when empty. With a stainless backplate (6 lbs)double steel 100's, and a single alum 80 I tend to need only 4 lbs additional weight. Before you need doubles you should have the skills necessary to do basic things like maintain your bouyancy without kicking or sculling hands, air shares mid water without varying your depth, and effective propulsion techniques like the frog kick, back-up kick, and helicopter spin. With doubles you'll experience more mass / inertia so make sure your gear is streamlined as well. (no pockets or vest-style BCD's) lastly, if you're not practicing air drills with a 7 foot hose with a buddy, you've overlooked you first defense for air needs. I applaud your search for knowledge, one fantastic source will be found at: www.gue.com
good luck!

If your asking if your wing will work with a backplate, the answer is probably.
A wing is essentially a wing. Some are wider here than there, different location for the dump.....

Where the tricky part will come in is how the connection is made between your new backplate and the existing Zeagle wing - and how you move the wing around to "trim" out. Most wings have three sets of holes, by which adjoin the wing,plate and bands. This is also used to adjust the wing "height", along with slipping the tanks higher or lower in the bands for proper trim and bouyancy. Without proper adjustment, doubles can be evil.....

My advice, sell one of your Zeagles, and buy a complete set.

Oh yeah, and if your trying to "budget" for tech diving, stop now and take up something else. Any budget I've ever come up with is never enough. :D:

SS

I went through the same thing when I switched to doubles..... I had a Zeagle as well, and I spent a good bit of time trying to track down a backplate that was compatible with those straps they use to secure the wing to the harness. Zeagle makes one that is compatible with their wings.

In the end I sold the Zeagle and bought a dedicated backplate/wing setup, I only wish I'd switched sooner. There are a few guys out here who are diving Zeagles on 240' tech dives, they all seem quite happy with their setups, so it can certainly be done.

nalfein:
I went through the same thing when I switched to doubles..... I had a Zeagle as well, and I spent a good bit of time trying to track down a backplate that was compatible with those straps they use to secure the wing to the harness. Zeagle makes one that is compatible with their wings.

In the end I sold the Zeagle and bought a dedicated backplate/wing setup, I only wish I'd switched sooner. There are a few guys out here who are diving Zeagles on 240' tech dives, they all seem quite happy with their setups, so it can certainly be done.

Good feed back.
thanks

When started my Intro to Tech course I had (and still have) a Zeagle Ranger. Due to cost I was not ready to buy a BP/W. The Ranger handled a set of AL 80's reasonably well without a backplate (I was using stablizing bars), but make sure you buy the optional crotch strap (or make your own). Without the crotch strap I found the Ranger to be too unstable. As the previous post indicated the 44lb lift should be enough, but per my training I was also using a redundant wing and would not recommend diving doubles without the redundant wing.

I am now in the middle of my full Tech course and have since started diving a BP/W...But, until you are ready financial wise the Ranger will do just fine.

wsparks:
When started my Intro to Tech course I had (and still have) a Zeagle Ranger. Due to cost I was not ready to buy a BP/W. The Ranger handled a set of AL 80's reasonably well without a backplate (I was using stablizing bars), but make sure you buy the optional crotch strap (or make your own). Without the crotch strap I found the Ranger to be too unstable. As the previous post indicated the 44lb lift should be enough, but per my training I was also using a redundant wing and would not recommend diving doubles without the redundant wing.

I am now in the middle of my full Tech course and have since started diving a BP/W...But, until you are ready financial wise the Ranger will do just fine.

Sounds good- i have yet to call Zeagle - but I know they make a back plate- that will fit the ranger. If my memory serves me corrcet the BP is not so pricey.... assuming it will balance etc... why not use the ranger W/ BP and Doubles set up?I l am looking for an argument why this will not work.
thanks

vin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom